GRE classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kussemek

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant think of a better place to ask this, but what courses did you guys use to prepare for the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably don't need to use a course since the GRE is a slightly modified version of the SAT (not to minimize the exam...). I'd say get your hands on some GRE books (Kaplan and Princeton are about the same, but some people prefer one over the other) and as many paper tests that you can stand to work on. Take about two months max to go through the materials and do problems (both on paper and computer based) and you should be just fine.

I used to teach for Kaplan and tutor privately now. I would just buy any of the books from one of the respected companies and follow them. Make sure you get practice on the computer administered questions because that is a pretty big difference from your previous standardized tests and be absolutely sure you read the strategy sections because this test is scored very differently than anything else you have ever taken.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do as many problems as you can. Go through the math review and strategy for logical problems. Learn strategies for language but don't bother memorizing lists of words and definitions. Read a few novels, books in your field with complex vocabulary.

And rest assured that numerous studies have shown the GRE scores to be completely unrelated to performance in grad school.....yet we still maintain the psychodiagnostic mania...

There is no need for you to take GRE classes. Just buy the latest kaplan book with the CD and just practice daily and you will be fine. I took GRE Test late-- about a month before the deadlines for mph programs --and I studied only for 2 weeks and I was fine. I will be attending UMich this fall. Just make sure that you practice verbal and math daily! How I studied: I wrote down the vocab five times twice before going to sleep and early mornings and practiced math as much as I could. I was doing full-time research, so whenever I had downtime I would sit down with my GRE book and study and then after I was done with work, I would study for 2-3 hrs. GRE Test isn't as bad as you think it is. You will do great! :)

Good Luck!