Graduate Entry in Aussie Med Schools II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Appreciate any and all advice you may have. (Please ignore any of my naivete in this email.)

I am a dual citizen of the USA and Hungary. I have a BA in Anthro and an MA in Econ. Both from the University of California, Santa Barbara. I have been accepted here (Budapest) at Semmelweis University to their English-language med program (6 years). --- I would like to transfer to an Aussie school as a graduate entrant. (End goal: MD in California)

Obviously, need to take MCAT and do well.

Question is:

Is what I would like to do even remotely possible?

If not, why not?

If it is, should I apply as a Hungarian or as an American? Or no difference?

Which Aussie Schools have graduate entry programs? All of them? How long is school once you get in? 4 or 5 years?

Amongst those that do have grad. entry programs --- where is best surf? Night life?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks,

Sandor

Members don't see this ad.

Sandor said:
Hi All,

Appreciate any and all advice you may have. (Please ignore any of my naivete in this email.)

I am a dual citizen of the USA and Hungary. I have a BA in Anthro and an MA in Econ. Both from the University of California, Santa Barbara. I have been accepted here (Budapest) at Semmelweis University to their English-language med program (6 years). --- I would like to transfer to an Aussie school as a graduate entrant. (End goal: MD in California)

Two four year graduate entry programs. Google for the websites. Classes start in February.

Flinders in Adelaide
U of Sydney

Better to apply as a US citizen. Interview is in New York or London. You will be able to work in California if you are a US citizen.

Sandor, if you really want to end up in California, I would not advise you to go the international med education route. It's very difficult for even med students who didn't go to college in California to land a spot in Cali med schools, or for non-Cali residents to practice in Cali. At least that's the general belief. If you want to end in California, stay in the US, and try to get into a Cali university. If you know someone in the UC med schools, ask them about the outlook of IMGs in Cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
skypilot said:
Two four year graduate entry programs. Google for the websites. Classes start in February.

Flinders in Adelaide
U of Sydney

Better to apply as a US citizen. Interview is in New York or London. You will be able to work in California if you are a US citizen.

Err I think there is about 7-8 grad entry programmes in australia now ;)

leorl said:
Univ. of Melbourne also does graduate entry, as well as Univ. of Queensland. Go to http://www.acer.edu.au

And Aus. Nat'l Uni (ANU) was new this past year, making a total of 5 grad programs currently, with more starting up either this coming year (e.g., Griffith on the Gold Coast) or the year after. All take int'l students, indeed need their $.