Coursework & Fieldwork Grades IN OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTgirl29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for those students currently in an OT program. Do you often feel a sense of pressure to get a 4.0? I'm finding that many students in my class are obsessed with making sure they end of with a 4.0 at the end of the semester. While I do want to do extremely well and learn everything I can to the best of my ability, I find it stressful to hear these others students talk about how bad they want a 4.0. Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question for those students currently in an OT program. Do you often feel a sense of pressure to get a 4.0? I'm finding that many students in my class are obsessed with making sure they end of with a 4.0 at the end of the semester. While I do want to do extremely well and learn everything I can to the best of my ability, I find it stressful to hear these others students talk about how bad they want a 4.0. Thoughts??

Before I left for school, both PTs and OTs I worked with emphasized to not worry so much about grades. Students in their 2nd year of the program tell me the same thing and the professors tell us the same thing. Don't stress out over one test. I see so many people in my class stress out over grades, their anxiety is so overwhelming I can't even be near them. They just project this unbelievable amount of negativity and stress I just cannot handle it. I didn't do so well on my first exam, but my second exam, I knew how to study better and it is all a matter of time management. To be honest, you learn more from getting a poor grade because now you for sure won't get those questions wrong.

So don't stress! Yes, they are important, but you shouldn't get yourself sick over them. Your health and wellness are just as important and you can't have that if you're always stressed out and worried. :)

Reactions: 1 users
PT here, but I work with OTs and a family member is in OT school. I don't think grades are important in OT/PT school as long as you understand and internalize the material. What good is a 4.0 if you learned the stuff by rote, without knowing how to use it in real life? Besides, employers only care about your being licensed, not your GPA. And grades and clinical/bedside skills are two completely different animals. There was a guy in my class who had very good grades but absolutely horrible interpersonal skills - to the point where nobody wanted to study with him.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year so my opinion isn't as valid, but it depends on the person. I don't stress about being perfect, I'd rather learn the material and have relevant experiences, like attending conferences, being involved in SOTA, know the issues that AOTA is advocating for and who they're supporting, etc.

Run away from folks obsessed with getting a 4.0

OT student here!

Don't kill yourself studying, listen to the professor and enjoy the ride. Being a 4.0 student won't make you any more qualified than a 3.0 student... just try your best, and really learn how to apply the information.

Reactions: 1 user