GP salary in Aus and NZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OYU OYU

Reaction score
Hi seniors,
I found a lot difference in GP’s salary of these 2 countries on Seek. Aus GP salary is between 250k and 500k. While NZ GP’s salary is around 160k-200k. Is it true? Are there any seniors had worked in both countries? Pls share your experience. Really appreciate!

Members don't see this ad.

My mate in NSW who is a GP (third year practising) his salary is about 280K + 9.5% superannuation and allowance) when he first started he was making over 120k if my memory serves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remuneration for GPs is quite variable and dependent on how much you work and where you work and how long you’ve been working for. Assuming you’re a GP who works 50/hours per week, at a busy practice and have worked as a GP at least 5+ years, you can expect your income to be around $400K to $500K (pre-tax, and excluding expenses for insurance, etc.).

Having said that not all of us work that hard all the time. But I’d say at least $200K per year once you’re fellowship qualified and seeing a reasonable amount of patients (i.e. more than 30+ per day) and working at least more than 30/hours per week.

Most of GPs work in Australia is throughout private practice and individual patient billing. So the more you work, or more rather, the more patients you see; the more moeny you make.

Notwithstanding that some GPs who work in outer surbarban or rural townships can take-up staff salaried positions to run the local hospital, and usually this is paid again around the $200K base salary, excluding penalties and leave allowances and lots of benefits with being a permanent employee of a hospital, probably makes it more like $300-400K dependent on seniority with years of practice.

Last edited:
Remuneration for GPs is quite variable and dependent on how much you work and where you work and how long you’ve been working for. Assuming you’re a GP who works 50/hours per week, at a busy practice and have worked as a GP at least 5+ years, you can expect your income to be around $400K to $500K (pre-tax, and excluding expenses for insurance, etc.).

Having said that not all of us work that hard all the time. But I’d say at least $200K per year once you’re fellowship qualified and seeing a reasonable amount of patients (i.e. more than 30+ per day) and working at least more than 30/hours per week.

Most of GPs work in Australia is throughout private practice and individual patient billing. So the more you work, or more rather, the more patients you see; the more moeny you make.

Notwithstanding that some GPs who work in outer surbarban or rural townships can take-up staff salaried positions to run the local hospital, and usually this is paid again around the $200K base salary, excluding penalties and leave allowances and lots of benefits with being a permanent employee of a hospital, probably makes it more like $300-400K dependent on seniority with years of practice.
Thanks for so detailed explanation. 300k-400k sounds pretty reasonable. 50hrs per week is a bit too much. Most of NZ GPs are working 32hrs/week, 24 patients per day. Starting salary is around 160k-200k. But I also saw an advertisement in NZ that you could own 400k, but pretty busy: maybe 40 patients per day, 40 hrs per week.

as mentioned, gp remuneration is highly variable...most gp would not get 'salary' and work for themselves as independent contractors, paying 30-35% of billings to the practice. depends on how many patients you are willing to see, how efficient you are, and if you are bulk bill or private bill .

my wife is a bulk billing fracgp who sees about 40 patients a day, average is 2-2500 in a full day. therefore its not surprising seeing GP who work 6-7 days a week billing over 6-700k per year

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a GP that works in both private practice and has a staff appointment at the local district hospital. I work 2 days a week in private practice and 4 days a week at the hospital, and the annual renumeration is more than enough to support a mortgage and young family in metropolitain Sydney.

Whilst money is a very important factor in our lives, it shouldn't be your primary motivator to decide your career track. I think it's safe to say that regardless of whatever specialty in medicine, it's probably likely that you'll have a steady and reasonable salary to live a comfortable lifestyle for yourself and your family. Pick a medical specialty you enjoy, work hard and smart; save and invest your money right, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user