Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I talked to a lawyer today about my juvenile adjudications and they said that if I seal the record it cannot show up on background checks unless I would be working with law enforcement or needing to receive a security clearance for working in a federal facility. But I’m wondering how extensive the background checks are when working for a government hospital, such as a county hospital or VA. I just want to confirm with people on here that these institutions do the same kind of background check as other hospitals and to assure myself that those records do not show up.
Your lawyer is more likely correct. The CBCs through Certiphi shouldn't probe more deeply, but any serious security clearance probably would. But you should still disclose when prompted.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sealed for OPM or Department of Defense purposes, in fact, the sealing of criminal records are specifically broken when it comes to public trust investigations (the easier form of background checks, the harder ones that are national security are a given). We'll know either way especially if the adjudication generated a UCR record as even seals don't reach that database. We do use NACLC, but there's actually a person who goes around and talks to people depending on what sort of job you're going for.

I do want to say something very clear about this though, youthful or adult behavior is not automatically disqualifying for the civil service. One of my old bosses actually has a Other Than Honorable discharge for beating up fellow sailors as a young Seaman (his actual DD-214 discharge paperwork quotes fighting and disorderly conduct in the determination). It comes down to whether or not the crime has potential issues with the job at hand, and whether the person is front of the investigator has changed from the person with the record. There are those with clinical records who retain their license to practice after rehabilitation.

That said, it's a high bar to overcome as it's on you to convince the hiring authority that the past remains in the past. Also, besides the quick checks, the serious background investigation does not start until you are selected and before you are hired in most cases. We don't have the resources to chase after every applicant.

I am confused though as to what hospitals do these types of in depth searches. What is a Ucr and an opm? I am not trying to work for the military or any job with a security clearance. I just want to be a doctor that works in a hospital. I am just wondering how to distinguish which hospitals or agencies are the ones where this sealed record will show up. Like I know during medical school I will rotate around clinics and different hospitals. I am not sure they are going to continue to keep doing background checks throughout med school but I just need to know. My offenses were not violent. They were a curfew ticket and a pot ticket. I was not fingerprinted but I do understand after I seal the record that the fbi homeland and all of them can still see it but I am not trying to work for them. That is why I am confused when it says it’s a federal agency but it’s some American organization for children or a county hospital how that differs or what they are allowed to see of my record.
UCR

Public Trust

Because it's government or child facing in those cases. The drug offense has a UCR report, doesn't matter if it's sealed. Any job for the government at your level gets the background investigation and possibly interview. And DHS must send to OPM whatever they have on someone if asked.

What you have is not disqualifying if you don't hide it in the paperwork or interview, but if you apply for a government job, you will have to deal with this. Any NGO with substantial funding must clear their personnel to that same degree.

Sealing your record won't help in those cases, and if it's discovered that you gave less than candid answers in your application, there are serious consequences that you can read about.

Status
Not open for further replies.