Gouge on Cleveland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have the gouge on the Cleveland programs (Cole and Case - what is it with the alliteration)? I'm familiar with the town, so I'm really more interested in the character of the programs themselves. Specifically - clinical training, ability to do research during residency, autonomy (I heard there's alot of hand holding at the Clinic), toxicity, anything else.

Looking forward to the replies. Thanks.

P

Members don't see this ad.

As a former Case Western student who rotated in both programs (Case and Cole), I would say that by far Cleveland Clinic is better. They have better clinical training and surgical training. The residents there referred to their training as "mini-fellowships," because they were mostly on a 1 to 1 basis (or more than 1 attending to 1 resident). Both in the clinic and in the OR, they were extremely happy with their training. Though some attendings could be very stressful in the OR, the residents were actually happy about it because they learned "excellent surgical fundamentals and technique."

At Case, a lot of the teaching is by the upper level residents. This is fine and is the method of teaching in many programs, but it can make your rotation "extremely" dependent on who you have rotating with you.

As far as research opportunities, hands down advantage Cole. There are soooo many projects going on there that medical students can even participate in. The opportunities to publish papers for the residents are in abundance.

Overall, I felt that Cleveland Clinic was a much better program than Case Western. I am in neither program and I am happy in my program. Also, my experiences were a few years back. I don't know how things have changed since then. Just my $0.02.

Hi Mahog,

Thanks for the input - exactly what I was looking for. We'll see what the future brings.

As it happens, we may have been med school classmates, or pretty close. I did my first two years at the CWRU MSTP before transferring to the Penn program. Started in 1997. You?

Again, thanks for the info - very useful.

P

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Primate
Hi Mahog,

Thanks for the input - exactly what I was looking for. We'll see what the future brings.

As it happens, we may have been med school classmates, or pretty close. I did my first two years at the CWRU MSTP before transferring to the Penn program. Started in 1997. You?

Again, thanks for the info - very useful.

P

I started in 1996, but took a year off before 3rd year for personal reasons. So we were close to being classmates. Good luck in your residency search, and welcome to Ophthalmology. It really is a great specialty.

Primate

Actually I think I was one of your classmates. You gave me some good tips on skiing. If this is you, how are things going? I'm still slaving away in the lab, but I'm also thinking about a career in Ophthalmology. I would love to hear how things are going for you, email me if you get the chance ([email protected])

Later

Andy

Hey man,

Long time, and all. Check your email. :p

Haven't skied as much as I'd like - busy with putting the thesis defense together. IT'S TODAY AT 1PM!!!! :clap: :clap: Sorry to shout, but I'm pretty psyched.

That is all. ;)

P