General Got a bad grade in a course I didn't know generated college credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This may sound silly or indicate the naivety of youth, but I did not know I was a student for the first 40 semester hours of my undergraduate education. These first 40 credits were all taken over a period of 6 months in a fully military setting at 10-12 hours of classes per day plus military activities on top of that. My GPA for these first 40 credits was around a 3.3 - not terrible, but drastically different from the 4.0 I have maintained since. Additionally, while in that program, none of the instructors or platoon sergeants told us that the program was awarding us credits at an undergraduate institution. These are credits taken in a military setting, but assigned to an actual transcript so I know they will count towards my overall GPA, but would this be something to justifiably address in a secondary application? I did poorly in those classes because I didn't know I was a student until after the classes were taken? Comparatively, I was still 4th out of 50 people in the class, as it was a very intense class/military regiment but still....And it is obvious on my transcript when I learned I became a student, because the transcript goes from a 3.3 for the first 40 credits to a 4.0 during the second half (20 credits) of the program. Because of this, My cGPA is/will be a 3.65 however my sGPA is/will be a 3.97.

Please let me know if and/or how I should address this in my application this coming cycle.
As a fellow servicemember, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Don't mention that you didn't know you were a student... civilians wouldn't understand what you're saying. I'd explain it as that you were enrolled in a military training program that you did not know would generate an academic transcript. You can make it clear that you were ranked 4/50 despite not getting a 4.0.

I think you're going to be good -- you've got a decent GPA and the military service will go a long way with most schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.