Good schools to apply to with mediocre GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s4mlaf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am applying this upcoming cycle, 2019-2020 and I would like to know my chances of getting into vet school are. I am going to graduate with my bachelors in 3 years instead of two and had a rocky semester fall 2018 so I’m afraid with the lack of time my gpa will suffer. I am planning on applying to U Florida, Michigan State, Purdue, Virginia-Maryland and Ohio State. Florida is my in state but Purdue is my #1. My gpa isn’t that great but I feel that the rest of my application is pretty soild. Should I loose hope on going to though since my gpa isn’t that great? If so, which other schools should I apply to?

GPA cumulative: 3.53

Science: 3.21

Last 45 3.30

GRE: N/A (I only plan on applying to schools that dont require it because I feel that I havn't had enough time to study for it)

Vet experience
  • 1500+ hours working as SA vet assistant at 2 different animal hospitals
  • 1000 hours working as a SA Surgical Tech at CVM
  • 150 hours as Vet tech assistant in Shelter medicine
  • 1000 hours shadowing SA vet
Research
  • 300+ hours of dairy cattle research at university
  • 160 hours of research with social interactions of Chimps at safari park
Animal Experience
  • 1000+ hours volunteering at various different shelters
  • 200 hours volunteering with wild animals such as wolves and foxes
  • 1100+ hours of working as kennel assistant
  • 2000 hours working with dairy cattle
  • 500 hours working at an equine assisted therapy organization
Others:
  • 2000 hours as medical assistant at audiology practice
  • leadership position in professional sorority
  • Ambassador for College of Agricultural and Life sciences
  • member of various different clubs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to think about taking some more classes to bring your science and last 45 up before applying. That would also give you time to study for and take the GRE so your options aren't so limited.

Your GPAs aren't bad, but with no GRE and a weaker science and last 45, you might have a better chance if you take the time to improve your application now rather than waiting to see what happens.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied this cycle with a cumulative 3.58, science 3.56, and last 45 3.81 and was accepted into 6 schools! I also had a GRE score of 157V/161Q/5.5W which I think helped "balance" my lower GPA, plus I think my last 45 also bumped me up. Echoing what has already been said, I would recommend taking the GRE if you're that worried about your GPA because that will also help you expand the amount of schools you could apply to if you wanted.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have the money, go ahead and apply this year. I’m a second time applicant myself and I feel much more confident this round. I feel like schools will see the improvements I’ve made in my gpa and animal experience and find my application more appealing this round. You never know too, you might get in this year!