Good news for Aussie Internationals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redshifteffect

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a letter from my Dean via this guy:

R W Wells
First Assistant Secretary
Health Industry Investment Division
Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing

In summary:

DIMIA has informed this dept that it would be possible for international students to remain in Australia for an internship after graduation.

If medical graduates wish to remain in Australia after graduation for the purpose of an intern year they may apply to the DIMIA office for a 422 (Medical Practitioner) temporary visa.

The 422 can be granted for upto 2 years (or for the period of job offered - whichever is shorter)

The government is currently considering options with a view to allowing the medical graduates to remain in Australia for additional graduate and vocational training.

Key Requirements for the 422

- Sponsored by the prospective employer
- Employer can meet sponsorship requirements
- The position is full-time, at Australian market salary
- Position is a designated "area of need" position, or a position which the sponsor can demonstrate cannot be filled by a suitably qualified Australian resident
- Nominee is registered to practise medicine (conditional registration is sufficient)
- Health and character requirements
- Completed a diploma or higher qualification

It is essential that the 422 visa be lodged before any current visa expires.

For further information on policy relating to the medical graduates undertaking an internship in Australia, please contact Beth Slatyer, Director, Workforce Strategies and Planning Section on (02) 6289 5636

Members don't see this ad.

This is excellent news and a smart approach to get residents/docs into under-served areas. Is also consistent with the West becoming more receptive of foreign docs in general over the past few years.

Woohoo! Now I just hope the policy lasts for 4+ years.

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
This is excellent news and a smart approach to get residents/docs into under-served areas. Is also consistent with the West becoming more receptive of foreign docs in general over the past few years.

Woohoo! Now I just hope the policy lasts for 4+ years.

-pitman

Yeah hopefully it lasts !

Members don't see this ad :)
It is very likely to last since they are hurting for docs right now. They cut down on med school spots a while back because they had a surplus but now they are short on docs. My understanding is that if it moves in any direction, it will be to keep international grads even longer. But whether this happens or not, it is unlikely that the time you can stay will be reduced within the next decade.

Originally posted by trkd
It is very likely to last since they are hurting for docs right now. They cut down on med school spots a while back because they had a surplus but now they are short on docs. My understanding is that if it moves in any direction, it will be to keep international grads even longer. But whether this happens or not, it is unlikely that the time you can stay will be reduced within the next decade.

- That's what my guess is since I think the extra spots from ANU and Bond will not be enough for the shortage...

- On the other hand this gov't is very xenophobic and therefore not open to immigration (judging by the fact that it's gotten harder to immigrate recently)

- They removed Doctors (even ones trained here) from the Skilled Occupations list...meaning that getting a PR directly is going to be difficult as well

- They seem to prefer doctors from South Africa and Britain and actually have incentives set up for them....