Good Comprehensive textbook for residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WingsBelieve84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good comprehensive Ophthalmology textbook to consider buying to supplement the BCSC for first or second year Ophthalmology residents? A book that has enough detail to explain fundamentals of disease processes, diagnosis, and basic management, but that is also manageable at a resident's level? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wills Manual is a must.
I liked the Kanski text book, simple but a lot of good stuff.
I also received a copy of the Yanoff book as a graduation gift, but never really used it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kanski is great, especially since the pdf is easy to view even on your smartphone. Comes in handy pretty often. (Same goes for the Wills manual.)

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend a good comprehensive Ophthalmology textbook to consider buying to supplement the BCSC for first or second year Ophthalmology residents? A book that has enough detail to explain fundamentals of disease processes, diagnosis, and basic management, but that is also manageable at a resident's level? Thanks!

I just ran across this interesting website: www.ophthoquestions.com Looks like it might be a useful resource for OKAP review. Any residents or fellows with any experience using it for OKAP or board review?

I just ran across this interesting website: www.ophthoquestions.com Looks like it might be a useful resource for OKAP review. Any residents or fellows with any experience using it for OKAP or board review?

Looks interesting. How much does it cost? Would try it for OKAPS before I would on boards. Honestly though, Friedmans/Chern's/Basic science books studied well will help you ace OKAPS and Boards. Don't see the need to add another resource to your list with limited time to study them unless they are better than the above.

Best comprehensive text is Kanski in my opinion. Great pictures and limited/high yield text.

Looks interesting. How much does it cost? Would try it for OKAPS before I would on boards. Honestly though, Friedmans/Chern's/Basic science books studied well will help you ace OKAPS and Boards. Don't see the need to add another resource to your list with limited time to study them unless they are better than the above.

Best comprehensive text is Kanski in my opinion. Great pictures and limited/high yield text.

They have subscription rates on their website: http://www.ophthoquestions.com/index.cfm/faq

I got a free trial through some promotion they are running, and it actually is pretty good. They have Optics and Path which a lot of books don't have. A lot of these questions seem really high-yield.

I like Friedman's as well for a good outline of the major stuff. The BCSC is dry as can be, but I guess everyone has to read them. I don't particularly like Chern -- doesn't seem up to date. I agree, Kanski is good, but it still has a lot of text to read.

I registered with ophthoquesitons.com a few days ago. This site is awesome. They have a huge database of questions and timed tests like KAPLAN. They also do comparative analysis with residents of each year. Very nice pictures. This site is definitely better than the books I already have: Chern and Mass Eye. I also did provision last year and it is way better than that. Many more questions and much higher quality. I signed up for the six month subscription. I told all of my co-residents about it. Two thumbs up!

Does anyone know how accurate the percentile scores on ophthoquestions.com are?

I'm really curious to see if my scores this year correlate well with their calculated percentile scores. I finally broke down and bought a six month subscription, which is actually pretty reasonable given how much damn $$$ I've spent on books over the past few years.

I've been doing this website for about 2 weeks and it's awesome. Wish I had this last year.