Going into private practice from an academic program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brainmets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten interviews from some academic programs that stress research. They are focused in getting fellows that want to go into academics. I am interested in research (and have CV to match) and will go into academics, but would these programs prepare you for private practice in the unlikely event you went that route?

I have heard from some of my heme-onc attendings that the answer is no. You usually don't get enough exposure to benign heme and even some of more common cancers in your continuity clinic because you have so many oddballs. Is this true?

Would your program director be supportive of you, if you were the only fellow in your class to go into private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you thinking about private practice LOL

My heme/onc attendings have told me to go to the best program that you can get into. Not everyone from top program does academics.

It seems like it is better to keep your options open by getting into the best possible program.