GI Bill Question - any vets out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoftGel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a veteran, what states do I qualify for the in-state tuition rate? All public schools in the 50 states within 3 years of leaving active duty service.

Has anyone heard of doing a Reserve Mobilization in order to reset this 3-year clock? I am outside the 3-year window, but mobilizing is technically returning to Active Duty. I believe you receive a new DD214 at the end of the MOB.

As a drilling reservist I could easily voluntarily MOB for 9 months before matriculating. If this reset the clock and made all schools public in-state for me, I could stand to save large sums.

Thanks in advance. I know this is a super wonky question .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To follow up:

It appears this is a valid way to legally game the system. Would be nice to hear if someone else has done this.

"A Veteran who lives in the state where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more. "
GI Bill Resident Rate Requirements - Education and Training"

I'm not, unfortunately (or fortunately)