Getting to and through med school - an anesthesiologist's perspective. Also, AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkmanAl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, everyone! It's been a long, long time since I've been active here. Some of the old guard may remember me from my med school days since, believe it or not, I used to help moderate this joint! Through the early days of my medical journey, the SDN community was a huge help to me, so you guys are very lucky to have found this place. I've been meaning to come back and give some perspective on my journey through medical education for some time, but I honestly just haven't gotten around to it. I even went as far as starting to type up my story a few months back, but I frankly forgot about the project, causing it to die in the water. Life intervenes in side projects far too often these days, it seems.

Anyway, I suppose I should give you some brief background on myself. I started my journey into medical education somewhat aimlessly and ultimately applied with a GPA of 3.1-3.2 or something and an MCAT of 35 (no idea what that translates to these days, but it was like 93-95th percentile at the time). I applied to 28 schools, got 1 interview, was waitlisted, and got accepted off the waitlist at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences back in 2008. I did my residency in anesthesiology at the University of Kansas, and I've been in private practice in an independent group at a medium-sized hospital for the past (almost) 5 years.

I'm a gigantic nerd and recently started live streaming as a hobby to all the main platforms: Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, namely. I try to talk about medical issues while I'm gaming, so it's a bit of an esoteric production. Recently, I've been trying to step my game up and actually edit some of the medical portions into proper videos, and my first attempt was a talk outlining what's required for applying to and getting through med school. Many of you will know most of the pre-med info, but I definitely knew none of the med school stuff prior to actually getting thrust into it, myself. Regardless, it occurred to me that some might find the video helpful, so here it is, in all its glory! This is my first attempt at video editing of any kind, and I did it Saturday while on call so was interrupted often. Also note that the video volume is pretty wonky since this was one of my earlier broadcasts. Judge me gently.

Edit: Note that this video is possibly NSFW due to swearing.

Also, please feel free to ask me anything you like here. I have fairly frequent short breaks during the day, so I'll try to stay on top of your questions. If you want to catch me and ask questions live, when I stream, I'm usually on from about 8-10 PM Central time. All relevant links are in the above video's description. Bring on the questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.