Getting published

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMode

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a master's degree student hoping to get into a PhD program. I haven't even started my thesis yet (of course, I've been doing reading but... I've actually been doing a lot of contemplating... on which topic do I want to focus? That question can keep you going for a while). I am going to volunteer in a professor's lab but it's too late for me to get any authorship on the current project. This professor may be starting another project that I want to get my claws into. I have an idea or two on some things that I may be able to work on (on my own), but I am not quite sure how good it will be (publishable or not). I have a few questions for you all.

1) Of all of the students here, how many have published? 2) Where/in what journals have you been published? 3) As a student, have you published anything on your own/ without a professor?

Members don't see this ad.

PsychMode said:
1) Of all of the students here, how many have published? 2) Where/in what journals have you been published? 3) As a student, have you published anything on your own/ without a professor?

I had eight publications prior to applying to PhD programs in clinical psychology. They appeared in American Journal of Psychiatry, American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Psychiatric Services, Pediatric Drugs, Addiction, Motivation and Emotion, and Evolution and Human Behavior. I was first author on six of these papers and second author on two, though all papers were products of a team of researchers and clinicians.

Thanks PublicHealth, now I feel a lot worse. :p I would be happy with even one publication to tell you the truth. I'm impressed that you did all of that. I'm trying to think of topics in my general interest areas that would be feasable and that would be worth publishing in a journal (something that is somewhat original), but I'm hitting a while. Did it help to become part of a research team? I'm thinking it would be easier to think of something because it can spring from the research you are helping with. Also, if it is a lab, then you have handy resources right there.