Getting licensed in foreign countries from US O.D. programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATism

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again!

I was wondering if anyone knew the process for taking a US O.D. and getting licensed in European countries. I know that for Canada, it is a matter of writing one(?) optometric board exam. Does anyone know anything about the European Union?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi again!

I was wondering if anyone knew the process for taking a US O.D. and getting licensed in European countries. I know that for Canada, it is a matter of writing one(?) optometric board exam. Does anyone know anything about the European Union?

If you're thinking about practicing in Europe...then I would consider going to Opt school there?

American ODs can do more than ODs in other countries so I assume you can become an optometrist in any other country somewhat easily but you will not be able to enjoy the freedom ODs have here especially when it comes to prescribing medications.

American ODs can do more than ODs in other countries so I assume you can become an optometrist in any other country somewhat easily

This is completely untrue. It is quite difficult to become an optometrist in most developed countries. Australia and New Zealand are extremely difficult (very expensive examinations and licensing). The United Kingdom also requires examination among other hoops. Fiji wasn't too hard but there is no need for optometrists (plenty of their own and most of the population can't afford optometric care anyway). In many developing countries Optometry doesn't exist, therefore, you either can't practice or you can but you are practicing outside of the law.