Getting benched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm newly registered, but have followed the board for a bit, now. V. nice resource, MudPhud.

Background:
I'm a rising 6th year combined degree (MD/PhD in neuroscience), and am a bench research type. My home ophtho program is very supportive of a wet-bench research career. However, my CD advisors are insistently waving students off from pursuing ophtho as, accd. to them, there are not bench jobs available in sufficient number post-residency (ie tenure track faculty spots). In other words, there ARE jobs, but at too few institutions (so we'd be better off in Heme/Onc or pathology appears to be their general consensus). I've heard from students at other institutions that is not an unusual piece of advice.

Quick question(s), then (which usually means "long answer"):

Do board members think this is the case, or rather just a lack of information (putting a kind spin on it) on the part of the general combined degree advisors? In other words, what's the job market like for a basic researcher after residency?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions.

Primate

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Primate
Hi all,

I'm newly registered, but have followed the board for a bit, now. V. nice resource, MudPhud.

Background:
I'm a rising 6th year combined degree (MD/PhD in neuroscience), and am a bench research type. My home ophtho program is very supportive of a wet-bench research career. However, my CD advisors are insistently waving students off from pursuing ophtho as, accd. to them, there are not bench jobs available in sufficient number post-residency (ie tenure track faculty spots). In other words, there ARE jobs, but at too few institutions (so we'd be better off in Heme/Onc or pathology appears to be their general consensus). I've heard from students at other institutions that is not an unusual piece of advice.

Quick question(s), then (which usually means "long answer"):

Do board members think this is the case, or rather just a lack of information (putting a kind spin on it) on the part of the general combined degree advisors? In other words, what's the job market like for a basic researcher after residency?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions.

Primate

My short answer is: take the road less traveled.

There are plenty of MD-PhDs in ophthalmology who pursue basic research. If you're doing a PhD in neuroscience, then it'll be a nice meld for you.

Also ask yourself this question, do you want to go into a field like Neurology with tons of MD-PhDs or would you rather enter a field like Ophthalmology that needs more basic scientists?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Mud-Phud.

The thought of a career in neurology is not entirely appealing (I think more than half of the house officers in neuro here are CDs), whereas Ophtho could not seem more exciting. All the benefits of Ophtho and the ability to do real neuro if you so desire. I'm also right there with the research (eye's a great developmental model and lots of hard core neuroscience opportunities). In other words, I'm already a convert. ;)

However, I actually am concerned about the support available for research. Some of the necessities for getting a good lab effort going are good departmental support and also other labs working in concert with you.

I'm in, either way. Just curious about what the landscape will likely look like (a little alliteration) when I finish - or at least what peoples' opinions are on the subject.

Thanks again.

P

Originally posted by Primate
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Mud-Phud.

The thought of a career in neurology is not entirely appealing (I think more than half of the house officers in neuro here are CDs), whereas Ophtho could not seem more exciting. All the benefits of Ophtho and the ability to do real neuro if you so desire. I'm also right there with the research (eye's a great developmental model and lots of hard core neuroscience opportunities). In other words, I'm already a convert. ;)

However, I actually am concerned about the support available for research. Some of the necessities for getting a good lab effort going are good departmental support and also other labs working in concert with you.

I'm in, either way. Just curious about what the landscape will likely look like (a little alliteration) when I finish - or at least what peoples' opinions are on the subject.

Thanks again.

P

As Andrew has said, you'll be in a good position because you'll be able to carve out a niche for yourself. Whilst most academic ophthalmologists don't conduct "basic research", there are some exceptions.

If you're at a dynamic University, you're not likely to be out on a limb. There is more potential for overlap within, and indeed between, fields than seems to be the case superficially.