geriatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePreacher'sWife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of residencies in geriatrics? I've been told that a handful of them have recently been set up. I know the typical route to geriatrics specialization is an IM residency and then a geriatrics fellowship. But I would like to look into a residency purely in geriatrics (and do a rotation there), if there truly are any. I'll be setting up rotations in the next few months, so I'll need to find these soon. I did a search on FREIDA and only found geriatrics fellowships, but no residencies. I also did a search in the American Geriatrics Society website, but no luck there either. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know of three ways of doing geriatrics.
1. FP residency followed by one year fellowship
2. IM residency followed by one year fellowship
3. Fellowship in geropsych after psych residency
Never heard of purely geriatric programs.
Hope this helps.

If it helps, a lot of inpatient internal medicine is basically geriatrics in a more glossy coat. Most of your house patients will be elderly with multiple medical problems.

As far as I know, there does not exist a residency in geriatrics; you must do a fellowship after preliminary training in general medicine.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the prof who told me about the "handful" of 'pure' geriatrics residencies out there. I really hope they do exist. If not, I'll be happy to do IM and a fellowship.

I'll post whatever information I can get. Thanks for the replies!

ThePreacher'sWife