Gerard V. Yu, D.P.M. (Died 8.15.2005)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Podiatry lost a great man today.

Dr. Gerard V. Yu (51) died earlier today at his home in Cleveland, OH. For those who are yet to be acquainted with his work, he is a nationally reknown lecturer, author of over 50 medical papers, member of the Podiatry Institute, residency director of the PM&S 36 program at Saint Vincent Charity Hospital in Cleveland, and a progressive thinker in podiatric surgery.

Below is a copy of an email circulated by the CEO of Saint Vincent Charity Hospital.

"It is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Gerard V. Yu, DPM, earlier today, Monday, August 15, 2005. Dr. Yu served the St. Vincent Charity Hospital family as Chief, Section of Podiatry, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, since 2000.

Simply put, Dr. Yu was totally and completely a man of excellence with an unwavering passion for his family, his profession, his peers and for the future of podiatry.

Dr. Yu is survived by his wife, Barbara Jean, his five children, ages 19, 17, 15, 13 and 11, and by his parents.

He leaves behind many who have been blessed by his compassionate care and mentoring. Dr. Yu will be deeply missed among the St. Vincent Charity Hospital family and the medical community.

Please remember Dr. Yu and his family in your prayers. We will share information about memorial services with you as these plans are made."

Members don't see this ad.

I was sadden when I heard that Dr. Gerard Yu had passed away. We definitely lost a great contributator and teacher of the Podiatric Surgery Profession.

diabeticfootdr said:
Podiatry lost a great man today.

Dr. Gerard V. Yu (51) died earlier today at his home in Cleveland, OH. For those who are yet to be acquainted with his work, he is a nationally reknown lecturer, author of over 50 medical papers, member of the Podiatry Institute, residency director of the PM&S 36 program at Saint Vincent Charity Hospital in Cleveland, and a progressive thinker in podiatric surgery.

Below is a copy of an email circulated by the CEO of Saint Vincent Charity Hospital.

"It is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Gerard V. Yu, DPM, earlier today, Monday, August 15, 2005. Dr. Yu served the St. Vincent Charity Hospital family as Chief, Section of Podiatry, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, since 2000.

Simply put, Dr. Yu was totally and completely a man of excellence with an unwavering passion for his family, his profession, his peers and for the future of podiatry.

Dr. Yu is survived by his wife, Barbara Jean, his five children, ages 19, 17, 15, 13 and 11, and by his parents.

He leaves behind many who have been blessed by his compassionate care and mentoring. Dr. Yu will be deeply missed among the St. Vincent Charity Hospital family and the medical community.

Please remember Dr. Yu and his family in your prayers. We will share information about memorial services with you as these plans are made."

dpmgrad said:
I was sadden when I heard that Dr. Gerard Yu had passed away. We definitely lost a great contributator and teacher of the Podiatric Surgery Profession.
Absolutely! :(

I just thought I'd bring this to the front of the posts again. I find myself thinking of Dr. Yu every once in a while, especially when differentiating Charcot foot from osteomyelitis.

LCR