General Podiatry Admissions Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alparkeruab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a double major in biology and history. I recently took the MCAT in August and made a 24-O (I am planning to retake it to try and better my score). I anticipate my GPA will be in the 3.6-3.7 range when I graduate (It is currently 3.63). I have been volunteering at hospitals since the summer of my freshman year, am active in intramural sports, in a few honor societies and clubs, and am a member of AED and AMSA. I have shadowed one doctor at a local hospital, and I plan to do some more shadowing before I graduate. Before I graduate I plan to participate in undergrad research. I plan to do this for a whole school year, but for one semester at least. I also want to look into getting a job at a hospital during my last year as an undergrad.

1.) What would my chances be to get in if I were to apply to Podiatry school with these grades/extracurricular activities?

2.) Do you think I would be eligible for any scholarship money? If not, how much would I need to improve my MCAT score and/or my gpa to be eligible for scholarship money?

3.) What job(s) at a hospital or in other medical settings would be good for a student to pursue who is interested to applying to podiatry school?

4.) How much will participating in research better my chances of getting into to podiatry school?

5.) How much would having leadership positions in different groups around campus help my application to podiatry school? How important in general are these leadership positions to an application?

6.) Is the amount of volunteering or shadowing experience what usually matters or just the quality of the experiences?

Thanks for the help... If anyone can answer any or all of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

You should do things in your summer or year off that interest you as a person.

If you really want to do something podiatric try working for a podiatrist as an assistant. You'll learn alot and maybe enjoy it - then you'd also know for sure if you like podiatry or not.

With your stats you can probably get in any school as long as you have a decent personality.

Research is good no matter what field you go into so if you get the oppurtunity to do some go for it and don't worry about what field the research is in either just make sure you are interested in it so you have fun.

alparkeruab said:
I am a double major in biology and history. I recently took the MCAT in August and made a 24-O (I am planning to retake it to try and better my score). I anticipate my GPA will be in the 3.6-3.7 range when I graduate (It is currently 3.63). I have been volunteering at hospitals since the summer of my freshman year, am active in intramural sports, in a few honor societies and clubs, and am a member of AED and AMSA. I have shadowed one doctor at a local hospital, and I plan to do some more shadowing before I graduate. Before I graduate I plan to participate in undergrad research. I plan to do this for a whole school year, but for one semester at least. I also want to look into getting a job at a hospital during my last year as an undergrad.

1.) What would my chances be to get in if I were to apply to Podiatry school with these grades/extracurricular activities?

2.) Do you think I would be eligible for any scholarship money? If not, how much would I need to improve my MCAT score and/or my gpa to be eligible for scholarship money?

3.) What job(s) at a hospital or in other medical settings would be good for a student to pursue who is interested to applying to podiatry school?

4.) How much will participating in research better my chances of getting into to podiatry school?

5.) How much would having leadership positions in different groups around campus help my application to podiatry school? How important in general are these leadership positions to an application?

6.) Is the amount of volunteering or shadowing experience what usually matters or just the quality of the experiences?

Thanks for the help... If anyone can answer any or all of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Your stats are more than high enough to gte an interview at quite a few places. If you'll look at the individual websites for each school, you'll see that you are well above their minimums in most cases. Looking at your experiences as well, unless you totally blow the interviews, you should be able to get offers from more than one school. As for the merit-based scholarships, the better your GPA and MCAT, the more you should get. I can't say this for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet you could get some money from several schools. You won't get a full scholarship...but you'll get some. MY stats are a little better than yours and I got a pretty decent offer. Keep in mind that their are also need-based scholarships that will be available after your FAFSA is completed for 2006. As for research-- I dídn't do any at all. But, I'm an older student with quite a few years of volunteer work and leadership experience.

I think the most important thing is just getting the interview-- and you should be able to do that. Once you sit down with your interviewer, you can begin to sell yourself to their program. Remember, though, that they are also trying to sell their program to you. They need quality people and they don't want to lose them to the other schools. They may be trying just as hard to recruit you as you are to impress them.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to your grades and MCAT Score, YOU DO NOT NEED TO RETAKE THE MCAT OR IMPROVE YOUR GRADES IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING PODIATRIC MEDICAL SCHOOL. Your grades and MCAT scores are phenomenal for podiatry and believe it or not after your interview, you will be granted an acceptance the same day if you apply to podiatry school.

alparkeruab said:

cliftonjr said:
you will be granted an acceptance the same day if you apply to podiatry school.

That depends entirely on the school you are interviewing at. Most schools dont tell you the same day if you are accepted or not, regardless of stats.

The California school will tell you if you got in the same day you interview. DMU will not tell you the same day. Those are the only two I know about.

I was interviewed on a Tuesday and received a call on Thursday to notify me of my acceptance at NYCPM.

Matt

Both Scholl and OCPM told me of my addmission and scholarships before the end of the interview day.