General AAMC Ethnicity Classification of Middle Easterners..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSU2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called up AAMC to see what they feel is best classification of Middle Easterners on the application and they said, its allll up to you (as in the applying student). So, where do u think Middle Easterners fall? "White/ Caucasion"? Does this answer look as though one might not identify with their heritage???? Also if one falls into the economically disadvantaged... M-MAR status and then says "white" isn't that a little contradictory?

ALL OPINIONS AND ADVICE WELCOMED :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I called up AAMC to see what they feel is best classification of Middle Easterners on the application and they said, its allll up to you (as in the applying student). So, where do u think Middle Easterners fall? "White/ Caucasion"? Does this answer look as though one might not identify with their heritage???? Also if one falls into the economically disadvantaged... M-MAR status and then says "white" isn't that a little contradictory?

ALL OPINIONS AND ADVICE WELCOMED :cool:

can you choose other and then designate your ethnicity?

and no, it's not at ALL contradictory to be white and economically disadvantaged. it happens quite a bit in some parts of these here United States...

White and ecnomically disadvantaged are not inherently uncombinable. If you are economically disadvantaged and white, black, yellow, green, purple or red, then you put down economically disadvantaged. If you truly qualify, then you'll be fine.

If you Click "asian" on Amcas, some more options open up. Eventually you can click until there is an "other" box, and then you can type in and specify exactly what race you are.

I did this and put "persian/Iranian". I feel that this completely identifies with me and I am happy.

What schools will think is there issue....I just know I am persian/iranian and they can take that how they want.

Since I am first generation and dealt with ALOT of financial and personal issues, etc. growing up, I also applied as a disadvantaged applicant as well.

i hope this helps.