GBM worth publishing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title basically we've got two GBM patients relatively standard in presentation and treatment but our director says we can publish interesting cases. I know GBM is the most aggressive form of brain cancer and that research towards a definitive treatment has been unsuccessful so far (I don't really know anything about GBM to be honest) but would any case studies on GBM be useful to the Neurosurgical society just as in more data etc?

I asked my director and am waiting to hear a reply but what's your guys opinion?

TLDR: I'm basically asking if I can do these case reports because it's the most aggressive cancer and cannot really be treated so the more info the better?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, we see these patients very frequently. Unless there is something novel about presentation or treatment, this does not add much value to the literature.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our director says we can publish interesting cases

What is it that is particularly interesting about these cases? Is your director a neurosurgeon? GBM is one of the most frequently seen brain tumors by neurosurgeons, and there is a ton of literature/research out there, so it would have be very special indeed for publication.

Reactions: 1 user
What is it that is particularly interesting about these cases? Is your director a neurosurgeon? GBM is one of the most frequently seen brain tumors by neurosurgeons, and there is a ton of literature/research out there, so it would have be very special indeed for publication.

Nothing was interesting, I was just curious because it's extremely aggressive etc; basically what I wrote in the TLDR. No our director is an internist.

I just wasn't sure about GBM, I didn't see it last year only craniopharyngiomas, medullablastomas, meningiomas etc

Thanks for your reply, I just wanted to check basically and where better than SDN.

It may be interesting then from an Internist perspective but bread and butter for neurosurgeons. Maybe a presentation aimed at Internists would be useful for building your CV

Craniopharyngiomas and medulloblastomas are much more interesting than GBM, at least from a surgical perspective.

The reason GBM is so awful is that it's relatively common. There are plenty of horrible, devastating cancers that are rare, like anaplastic thyroid cancer or whatever. But GBM is the most common malignant primary brain tumor.

Did you manage it in an interesting way, or did it have an interesting presentation?

As others have mentioned, it is a well studied and well reported pathology. A report should communicate something new and/or unique.

Nope, as longhaul stated; I wish I had published those cases from last year. Hopefully I can get a few good cases on my NSGY rotation this year.

Write it up. Worst case scenario you wrote up something and it's an exercise in writing.

Best case, its good for the CV.

Working on an Osteomyelitis case report atm, thanks everyone for your replies.