USMLE Gave Step 2 CS Recently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj_steeze

Reaction score
First time poster but longtime lurker. Took CS this past week, and like many, feel like I really underperformed/ really messed up. I think it was the nervousness that got to me.

Mistakes without giving details of exam:
1. Didn’t do a neuro exam when warranted; CC was neuro (no clue what I was thinking)
2. Didn’t check pulses on 3 cases that I should have
3. Didn’t check thyroid on case where probably should have
4. Don’t know if my notes were worthy; felt like I was some lacking pertinent negative and didn’t have the best workup (some poor workup for a few cases probably). Differentials had 3 for maybe 5/6 cases then 2 for the remaining. Messed up on 2/3 diagnoses. I think I had at least 3 supporting evidence for main differential and second. Didn’t really put physical exam findings as supportive evidence. And didn’t use proper medical terminology on a few things. Probably left some things out that I asked on the history.

Things I felt I did right:
1. Knocked then entered, closed door before saying patients name to provide privacy of name
2. Greeted patient with smile and sanitized before shaking hand. Would say “I’ll just sanitize my hands before properly introducing myself; the hospital is a filthy place!”
3. Introduces myself as Dr. and confirmed patients name. One patient I didn’t remember their name and just asked “how would you like me to refer to you as?”
4. Asked if they were comfortable and if I may take a seat.
5. Summarized the history
6. Sanitized again before PE
7. For the most part did focused PE. Tried to add heart and lungs when I could.
7. Established good rapport; felt I had a good relationship with many patients
8. Counseled when I could and closed on all except maybe one patient where bell rang. Don’t know if it’s good but whenever I asked if has any questions (challenge question) the patients didn’t have any for me.

Haven’t really been able to think about anything but the exam since then and I know I already took it and can’t change the past. Just looking to get any input if possible. Just been freaking out really haha.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain, friend, waiting for mine too. So many people are failing this year, quite a few at my school. I think it's great for your sanity to write all this down, and it doesn't look like much. Being able to remember all of these specific things is a good sign that you took the exam seriously and were systematic and consistent in your approach. I don't think folks can ask much more than that. Folks I know who failed were generally blindsided and didn't prepare much because they never had any clinical problems. Sounds like you did fine. Stay positive and try to find fun or productive things to do so you don't dwell too much (I often fail at this but doing my best). It's really terrible that they take so long to grade this ultimately very subjective and not-validated exam, and make so much money on it.

I feel your pain, friend, waiting for mine too. So many people are failing this year, quite a few at my school. I think it's great for your sanity to write all this down, and it doesn't look like much. Being able to remember all of these specific things is a good sign that you took the exam seriously and were systematic and consistent in your approach. I don't think folks can ask much more than that. Folks I know who failed were generally blindsided and didn't prepare much because they never had any clinical problems. Sounds like you did fine. Stay positive and try to find fun or productive things to do so you don't dwell too much (I often fail at this but doing my best). It's really terrible that they take so long to grade this ultimately very subjective and not-validated exam, and make so much money on it.

Thanks for responding! Trying to stay positive and keep my mind off it as well, but similar to you, I often don’t do too great at that either. Hopefully the results will be in our favor! When did you take your CS and how did you feel about it? Also, what type of school are you from? (US allopathic/IMG/DO)