GA-PCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tallulah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for us, so I decided to start one :) Anyone else joining the second class at GA-PCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my acceptance in the mail today and I am so excited!!!! I will definately be going to GA-PCOM next year. Time to go pay my deposit!

Hey fellow students! My name is Amy and I am a part of the Class of 2009. I am so excited you all are deciding to come to GA-PCOM. If you have any questions about apartments, the school, books or anything you can think of don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]. I have a lot of experience on apartment finding in the area. If you are interested in townhouses or homes I can help a little with that or direct you to someone who has more experience. Congrats on your acceptance and I look forward to meeting you in August.

Amy

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome!!!!! I ditto Amy's offer.

B Anderson

pinkscrubs said:
I just received my acceptance in the mail today and I am so excited!!!! I will definately be going to GA-PCOM next year. Time to go pay my deposit!

There had better be more than just the two of you coming next year!

I received my acceptance to GA-PCOM just after returning from Thanksgiving. I was thrilled as this is my first acceptance and second year applying. I'm a GA boy and I've got a couple friends in the first class. I do have a couple questions.
1. When will the AOA accredit GA-PCOM? I'd guess residencies will require graduation from an accredited school.
2. Where does it look like 3rd and 4th year rotations will end up being located?
3. Do most of yalls classmates seriously want to do primary care, or are there some planning on neurosurgery at Hopkins? Just wanting to get a feel for how most of the class feels about residency.

GAdoc said:
I received my acceptance to GA-PCOM just after returning from Thanksgiving. I was thrilled as this is my first acceptance and second year applying. I'm a GA boy and I've got a couple friends in the first class. I do have a couple questions.
1. When will the AOA accredit GA-PCOM? I'd guess residencies will require graduation from an accredited school.
2. Where does it look like 3rd and 4th year rotations will end up being located?
3. Do most of yalls classmates seriously want to do primary care, or are there some planning on neurosurgery at Hopkins? Just wanting to get a feel for how most of the class feels about residency.

Yo GAdoc, check out above posts for answers to most of your questions. Some answers in brief:

1. By April of 2006, assuming we don't really mess something up.

2. from what we (the students) have been told: sevberal sites in Atl as well as around GA, SC, TN, AL. We may also have Philly sites available for those who want to see their sneeze freeze.

3. Many are interested in primary care fields such as Peds, OB/GYN, Family Practice, and many are not. There a quite a few fans of surgery, internal medicine specialties, emergency med etc as well. From what I know, there are a few radiology nuts. As we are all first-years, I doubt too many people have really nailed down what they want to do.

I will be attending next year as well. Hooray! Now some questions :)

Does anyone attend classes at the Francis Fong Academy in Norcross? (Used to be in Duluth) I'm trying to find some information about it. Sigung Fong is my Sifu's (teacher) teacher, and one of the very few schools in the south that teaches my style.

Are there many affordable homes for rent in the area? My wife, two cats, and creatively-named doberman puppy Dobie will be relocating in June, so apartments are probably a no go.

Any word on when the new med center will be opening? My wife should have her GA RN license by the time we move and is applying for jobs at the new hospital.

That's about all for now. We are going to try to take a trip back to the area in the next week or so, as I didn't really get a chance to check it out during my interview.

Hi, everyone...I be interviewing on 1/12 and will be staying in the until 1/14 to see the area surrounding the school. Any suggestions on what to see?

Little Bear said:
Hi, everyone...I be interviewing on 1/12 and will be staying in the until 1/14 to see the area surrounding the school. Any suggestions on what to see?

Having lived in Georgia my whole life, I can say that Atlanta (which includes Suwanee) is like an oasis. By that I mean it is totally different than any other part of Georgia. I'm not going to say better....just different. You should have no trouble finding things to do. It depends on what you want. The Buckhead area is probably the nicest. You can find awesome malls (like Lennox), and restraunts (Cheescake factory, Dante's Down the Hatch, etc.). The new aquarium has just opened and is supposed to be fantastic. Just check it all out. If it were summer I'd suggest seeing a Braves Game. They're always a lot of fun.

Hi guys,
I got my acceptance letter this afternoon :D and I have a big smile on my face, but I'm trying to decide between here and VCOM. I'm 55% PCOM-GA and 45% VCOM, but still thinking hard about it. :(

Medic813 said:
Hi guys,
I got my acceptance letter this afternoon :D and I have a big smile on my face, but I'm trying to decide between here and VCOM. I'm 55% PCOM-GA and 45% VCOM, but still thinking hard about it. :(

Congratulations!!! It is exciting isn't it!!! Both VCOM and GA-PCOM are great schools, good luck deciding. The schools are in very different settings. GA-PCOM does not have an attendance policy or dress code. I would ask the schools more questions to help you decide, like where the rotations are going to be, what the curriculums are like, etc. (GA-PCOM has an integrated curriculum, not sure about VCOM) Keep us posted!

When you say that GA has an integrated curriculum do you mean that all classes correlate with each other in reference to what subjects are being taught? This is what I'm thinking: VCOM- 1 Big University setting w/ the availability of using Va Tech resources, 2 Rotations are in smaller places 3rd year and then you have to choose somewhere 4th year (I'm from a small place and have worked in health care here, so I would like to see some big places) However VCOM students are rotating in a lot of one on one settings w physicians and I think that GA students may have more competition w MS4's and Residents at the bigger places. GA- in my opinion had nicer facilities than VCOM, the student body was much more friendly than VCOM, GA has a pt simulator, its closer to home by about 1.5 hrs than VCOM, but I have lots of family in VA (Not that you get time to go home, but I have some aging family members in declining health) :confused: I like the absence of the dress code at GA. What kind of other issues should I look at when comparing the 2 programs? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be partial because I attend GA - PCOM but I can tell you what I think about the school. I know one important factor that you should consider is the class size. With a class of only 85 students and a total of 170 students in the school the professors will be able to dedicate more time to your learning. I know the anatomy lab facilities are really nice and conducive to learning. Meaning, you only have 6 people on each cadaver. I don't really know how VCOM does their labs. I know that I learned most of my anatomy in the lab because of the small group size.
You were correct in the interpretation of integrated learning. We are taught basically the same system in anatomy, primary care skills and OMM at the same time. I think it is an excellent way to teach medicine.
PLUS, you have a great group of second years to mentor you next year. We seem to be a very cohesive class that in general wants to help the people who are struggling with the material. I know they are getting together a group of people to help with gross anatomy lab next year to aid in determining what you are dissecting if it is possible with our schedule.
We do have the largest OMM facility with a really great professor. Dr. Ehrenfeuter is helpful and more than willing to drop anything he is doing to help out students. He is very approachable and just a kind-hearted individual. We also have two physicians in the area that come to lab and help with manipulations.
Lastly, Dr. Evans our vice-dean (head-honcho down here) is very student friendly. His goal is to provide the most student-friendly environment that is conducive to learning. He is easily approachable and listens to your concerns. He is not some far-off head figure that no one can approach for fear of getting struck down by lightening. He also comes into our OMM lab and primary care skills labs to help in teaching us. Call me partial but I really think what they are doing down here in GA is going to result in some great physicians. :D

Amy,
Thanks for all of the info, it has been very helpful. I was also wondering how classes are scheduled, meaning do you get breaks after tests. For example at VCOM, they have a block system where they go 11 weeks on and have a week off followed by 5 weeks on and 1 week off for the rest of the first year. How does GA compare to this?

Anyone have the timeline on stuff for the GA campus? My check has yet to be cashed and I have yet to receive the packet that the PA people are getting.

:confused:

JKDMed said:
Anyone have the timeline on stuff for the GA campus? My check has yet to be cashed and I have yet to receive the packet that the PA people are getting.

:confused:

I would not be too concerned. I interviewed in October, was accepted 12/7 and mailed my check 12/8. It was cashed 1/6/2006, almost a month later. I called Aisha and she said they are just slow to cash checks. I haven't received a package either. I would not be too worried. If it takes much longer maybe you should call to check on it. I wish you could pay with a credit card so that you know they get the payment right away!!!

pinkscrubs said:
I would not be too concerned. I interviewed in October, was accepted 12/7 and mailed my check 12/8. It was cashed 1/6/2006, almost a month later. I called Aisha and she said they are just slow to cash checks. I haven't received a package either. I would not be too worried. If it takes much longer maybe you should call to check on it. I wish you could pay with a credit card so that you know they get the payment right away!!!

Well, that's a bit comforting, although you have the holidays during that time.

I mailed my check over the holidays and it was received (confirmed three times) on Jan 5. *shrug* I guess so long as they have it that's all that matters.

Well, I am not going to candy coat this at all but the first term was ridiculous in the scheduling. We had hardly any days off and it really caused a stink. The student body brought this up to the dean and the schedule for second term was more student friendly. Our days during first term were 8 - 12 with 10 minute breaks for each 50 minutes of lecture. Then 12 - 1 was lunchtime which is a significant amount of time to get lunch out or eat in the cafe. Then 1 - 2 lecture and lab 2 - 5 usually consisted of lab like gross anatomy, omm or pcs. Usually on Fridays we were out at 12 and some Mondays were the same way. This term the mornings are either from 9 - 12 with 10 minute breaks for 50 minutes of lecture OR 8 - 10 break from 10 - 11 then 11 - 12 lecture and 12 -1 is lunch. This term the lab for OMM and PCS are only 1 - 4. Usually Mondays and Fridays are short days being we get out at 12. Tuesdays and Thursdays are days of OMM and PCS lab till 4. Wednesday used to be a short day till Medicine and Society came into the picture. The labs for OMM and PCS are split into two separate groups so you are only in lab for 1.5 hours. You rotate weekly between being the early group and the late group.

Last semester we did not get any days off before the exams which was really overwhelming. The student body raised concerns about this and this term it is different. The first exam we were not tested on the information presented two days before the test. The second exams were midterms and that took up a whole week of scheduling so we did not have classes at all that week. That week included a practical for OMM, written exam for OMM and written exam for Preclinical. This seemed to be ample amount of time for everyone to study for these tests. Our PCS instructor moved his midterm to after Christmas break which was greatly appreciated by the student body. The third exam was on a Monday so we had a full weekend to study new material. The fourth exam or finals for all classes are all in one week again with no classes between. I don't forsee any problems with this scheduling style.

Between the first and second term we did not get any additional days off. We again raised concerns and this term we get at least one day off (a Friday) before we have to start the third term.

First term was 12 weeks and this term is 14 weeks. We do not have the schedule for third term yet. I don't know how VCOM does their scheduling but we started school on Aug 14th and we get out for summer break on June 6th. We get about 9 weeks off for summer. We have a week long spring break also. Our Christmas break was only two weeks long.

I don't know if this is true but I heard that the reason our schedule is so busy this first year is because they want to make the last two terms of our second year light. This is to help us study for COMLEX. Which I personally don't mind.

I also know that Dr. Evans promised to bring in a well-known reviewer for the COMLEX to aid in our studying. Which is another plus I see in coming to the school. :)

If you have anymore questions just send them my way and I will answer them as soon as I can. And I will be as honest as I can. If that whole schedule thing confused you I could send you the schedule for our first term and second term via email. Just give me your address.

Hi Guys!

I received my acceptance letter yesterday....YEAH!... :D
The check for the deposit is in the mail and am looking forward to August..

Where do you as Ist year students go for clinicals? Example WVSOM student go to a hospital right across the campus, NSU students get clinical exposure in the 1st and 2nd year at various sites also. During my interview at PCOM I forgot to ask about clinics in the 1st and 2nd year? Also, when will the rotation sites be confirmed? These are my two big concerns about PCOM, GA. What if rotation sites are not established for all students because of the competition aroun: More House, Emory, Mercer etc? It is possible. One university in GA is facing this problem of finding enough rotations for all its students.

We do not have much clinical exposure 1st year in terms of going to clinics or hospitals. Are curriculum is all integrated so we are learning a great deal of clinicial medicine interspersed within our basic sciences. In addition we have had some great guest lectures from physicians in the field. This may change if/when we get our own clinic on campus which may be in the works for the future. A few of the clubs on campus have gotten involved with volunteer efforts so you could go thru that route.

About rotations. We have been assured that 95% of our rotation sites have been confirmed (CORE anyway). I can only tell you that this is what we are being told, but I trust our Dean on a very high level. Beyond that I don't know what more we can say about 3rd year because no one has gotten there yet!

Hope this helps a little

BMW-

babloo said:
Where do you as Ist year students go for clinicals? Example WVSOM student go to a hospital right across the campus, NSU students get clinical exposure in the 1st and 2nd year at various sites also. During my interview at PCOM I forgot to ask about clinics in the 1st and 2nd year? Also, when will the rotation sites be confirmed? These are my two big concerns about PCOM, GA. What if rotation sites are not established for all students because of the competition aroun: More House, Emory, Mercer etc? It is possible. One university in GA is facing this problem of finding enough rotations for all its students.

Just to add on to what BMW said. The Osteopathic Institute of the South had a network of clinical rotations set up in GA for ten years now. They were trying to get more doctors to rotate down here to get them to stay down here and work. This network is still intact and it is what we are going to be using to do our clinical rotations. I think the main thing they are working on now is our in-hospital rotations.

My wife and I may be looking for a roomie this fall. We will be renting a spacious home and would like to take on a roommate to share some of the costs.

The home should be 4ish bedrooms and 2.5 or more baths, close to 2000+ sq ft. Anyone interested should be prepared to deal with two sweet dogs, two cats, and a married couple. :D Be prepared to spend around $400-$600 a month.

Anyone interested PM me and I will update with the actual home and more details this summer. My wife prefers a female roommate (I swear this wasn't my idea!) and will be working as a RN.

I received a packet from Financial Aid this past Saturday...

So, I decided on Friday that I am going to be attending PCOM-GA this fall :) Needless to say, since i"m from NC, my family was much happier that I decided on PCOM-GA over LECOM-PA :) I look forward to seeing everyone in the fall!

Scheduled to interview there in a week. Sounds like a great program and culture. Amy, Samdwi and BMW thanks for your insight.

I was wondering if I would be able to hang out and follow someone around one day at the school just to get a feel for what it will be like in the fall? Anyone know who I need to talk to to see if I can do that and to see if someone wants to host me and show me around the place a little bit :) Thanks!

Spankete87 said:
I was wondering if I would be able to hang out and follow someone around one day at the school just to get a feel for what it will be like in the fall? Anyone know who I need to talk to to see if I can do that and to see if someone wants to host me and show me around the place a little bit :) Thanks!

I would say the best person to speak to is Student Affairs person which is Angela. She would be able to help you out. Her email is [email protected]. Make sure you put something in the subject line to catch her attention because our pcom accounts separate non-pcom emails to a junk box.

KYmedic said:
I would say the best person to speak to is Student Affairs person which is Angela. She would be able to help you out. Her email is [email protected]. Make sure you put something in the subject line to catch her attention because our pcom accounts separate non-pcom emails to a junk box.

Thanks!

Spankete, When did you interview?

:love: :laugh: :love: :laugh: I am happy to finally say that I am going to medical school this fall at PCOM-GA. I interviewed on the 23rd of February and received my acceptance today in the mail. It was dated the 2nd of March. See all of you in the fall
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Congrats and welcome to the family. Feel free to contact any one of us if you have any Q's from us pioneers in the 2009 class. PM me if you want my email address.

BMW-

doctorjoy said:
:love: :laugh: :love: :laugh: I am happy to finally say that I am going to medical school this fall at PCOM-GA. I interviewed on the 23rd of February and received my acceptance today in the mail. It was dated the 2nd of March. See all of you in the fall
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Congrats to everyone on acceptances! I am anxiously awaiting news myself, I interviewed 2/28. Does anyone know how often the committee meets? At the interview they mentioned it would be two weeks, but I thought I had heard they might meet once a week on here. Also, how do the acceptances come...a phone call, a big envelope, or signature required mail? Just curious! Thanks in advance ;)

For those already attending and those accepted:
As selection criteria...How would you rate the relative importance of:
Volunteerism
Experience in medicine/patient contact
Undergrad grades
MCAT scores

jones'n said:
For those already attending and those accepted:
As selection criteria...How would you rate the relative importance of:
Volunteerism
Experience in medicine/patient contact
Undergrad grades
MCAT scores

If they invited you to interview, they are interested in you. :) Be yourself. Sell yourself. Know your strengths and your weaknesses. Be prepared to address both of them in the interview.

The following only a guess, only some one on the admissions committe knows how they rank these items. Undergrad grades and MCAT scores are probably toward the top of the list and then experience in medicine/patient contact and volunteerism are factored in based on your role and time commitment. You didn't mention letters of recommendation. I sure those factor, too.

jmebme said:
Congrats to everyone on acceptances! I am anxiously awaiting news myself, I interviewed 2/28. Does anyone know how often the committee meets? At the interview they mentioned it would be two weeks, but I thought I had heard they might meet once a week on here. Also, how do the acceptances come...a phone call, a big envelope, or signature required mail? Just curious! Thanks in advance ;)

The acceptances come by mail in a small envelope - or at least that's what I think. I had to get mine via fax. ;) I'm having problems with my mail at my apartment complex.

Does anyone know if they are going to have a list of potential roommates for those of us who are not married and looking for someone to share expenses with in the fall?

Spankete87 said:
Does anyone know if they are going to have a list of potential roommates for those of us who are not married and looking for someone to share expenses with in the fall?

Last year the school kept a list of roomates and also someone started a roomate forum. I think it is Angela you can email at GA-PCOM.

This past year I have lived at the Reserve at Sugarloaf and love it! Very upscale and gated, but expensive at $855 for a 2 bedroom. These apartments are about 5 minutes from the school across from the Sugarloaf Country Club.

My fiance (he is a 1st year student) and I are moving to a house this month that is a little closer to the school. It has 4 bedrooms so we are thinking about renting out 1 room. It has its own private entrance, harwood floors and enough space for a bed, desk, etc. Please PM me if you are interested.

jmebme said:

yeah the committee meets this friday. I had an interview yesterday. They said they will mail us their decision in two weeks. Does anyone know if GA-PCOM has any fellowships where they might pay for some of ur tuitions. I know NOVA does. Hopefully ill get accepted to both, but im not sure which one i like better yet

I need a clear understanding how does the whole financial aid thing work with getting housing and things like that bills etc.... :confused:

doctorjoy said:
I need a clear understanding how does the whole financial aid thing work with getting housing and things like that bills etc.... :confused:

From what I heard students are able to get $38,500 in student loans for the first 2 years and a little more for the 2nd two years. The money mostly goes toward tuition but there is a little left over to go towards other expenses. Most students get private loans to cover living expenses. Some students do work study for extra money. Also, there are many students who have army scholarships and get a stipend to pay for living expenses. There are some need based scholarships but I think it is not much and is based on your parents income (no matter how old you are). Those of us without army scholarships can expect to have a lot of debt after graduation. No fancy cars or houses any time soon. $40,000 for 4 years plus interest will be a least $1400 a month for 10 years :( I wish I had a rich uncle!!!

HooahDOc said:
Could any current students post what the budget was for this year?

This is the best breakdown I can give you of my financial situation. I currently live in Sugar Mills Apartment which is 5 minutes from the school. And very close to numerous shopping centers but is also really quiet and gated. We have a brand new 4000 sq foot gym with great equipment, TV on each cardio machine for individual entertainment. I know the school has a nice gym but sometimes I don't want to workout there cause I already spend so much time there to begin with. My apartment is around 1380 sq ft with 2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. It came with a large brand new washer and dryer and our water bill is included in the rent and is not variable. (Some apartment complexes do not keep the water bill a constant but takes an average of three months to determine the charge for water.) I live with another medical student and the rent is $889 per month. Here is a run down of the bills we have:

Rent - $889
Electric - $55.00 (my roommate likes the heat on 73, she's from FL)
Gas - $100.00 (water heater only)
Cable/Internet - $84.90

TOTAL - $564.45 per month (I took half of everything)

These bills are variable for everyone
Cell Phone - $70.00
Car Insurance - $107.89
Car Payment - $200.00

TOTAL - $377.89 per month

Textbooks this year - $1,200.00 (aprox)
Equipment (Otoscope, Opthalmascope...) - $750.00 (aprox)
Tuition and Fees - $34,122
Student Fee - $150
Insurance from the school - $2,196

TOTAL - $38,418

The federal government will give you a $38,500 (this increases to about 46,000 during your 3rd and 4th year) of loans some subsidized and some unsubsidized and I think that is based on income. Yes, parents' income is taken into account even though you may not live with them unless you are married. The school gives some need-based scholarships which mine is $500 per semester. If you have reasons why your parents' income should not be considered, you can write to the financial aid office. I did that and I have a need based scholarship. I also signed up for a private educational loan from Wachovia Bank. The interest rate on that is based on your credit score and if you can get your parents to co-sign you might get a lower interest rate based on their credit score. I am receiving $18,000 per year.

TOTAL AMOUNT IN LOANS - $56,500

TOTAL COST - $49,726.08

Leaving a sum of - $6,773.92 for misc. expenses

Now this is for a full year of rent and bills. We have the summer off so I plan on working part-time during the summer so my funds will increase. The loan disbursements come out in three increments which are in relation to each term ending. Allow they say the disbursement is on one day, it usually takes a week before the money will show up in your account. It is doable but takes a budget. Also remember that you will probably want to attend conventions (hotel cost and convention fee cost), be a member of clubs ($10 - $50), buy t-shirts for clubs ($20), buy a OMM table ($325 good for practicing on innocent victims) and other things. Some students decided to buy a house and rent it out. That is a good way to cut back on rent costs but remember that also increases the cost of electric and gas heating.

Some Good Advice I can give you:

1) Get a roommate - Like someone else said, give your name to Angela Dickson.

2) Get a place close to the school - The farther you are away the more time you have to spend on the road in traffic. (UGH)

3) Get a place close to shopping centers - The less time you have to use driving to run errands the better.

These three things will help alleviate unneeded stress and time is the most valuable asset to a medical student.

Hope this helps and it is not too long.

Amy

tsazmand said:
yeah the committee meets this friday. I had an interview yesterday. They said they will mail us their decision in two weeks. Does anyone know if GA-PCOM has any fellowships where they might pay for some of ur tuitions. I know NOVA does. Hopefully ill get accepted to both, but im not sure which one i like better yet

I know GA-PCOM is going to have a fellowship for those after their fourth or second year (I can't remember) to stay at the school and help with OMM. They will get a stipend to live on and medical insurance free. For doing this for one year you get one year of tuition forgiveness. The only downside is you have to wait an extra year to graduate.

Amy

KYmedic said:
I know GA-PCOM is going to have a fellowship for those after their fourth or second year (I can't remember) to stay at the school and help with OMM. They will get a stipend to live on and medical insurance free. For doing this for one year you get one year of tuition forgiveness. The only downside is you have to wait an extra year to graduate.

Amy

I was hoping that sombody would answer a question of mine real quick. I was just wondering if there is a list of books that correspond to the required courses, or if we were on our own with finding a book that we like??
If there is a list, could sombody show me where to find it?
Thank you so much guys!! And congrats!!!

KYmedic said:

Amy

I assume from your above post that the school budgets around $58,000 / yr for students? I'm specifically looking for what the maximum the school sets is, since I am eligible to take the difference between the value of my HPSP scholarship and whatever the school says we can have.