Future Clinical Rotation Sites while Under Chapter 31 VR&E

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, more of a curiosity as to what the coming year(s) will bring for me. While I am currently getting all my benefits (Tuition, Books, BAH, accommodations, etc.) I was wondering: How do rotation sites work if you leave your county or state for a period of 6 weeks at a time throughout an academic year? If I were to further discuss this with my VRC, would the possibility of them covering further housing along with my current living space even be a consideration (ie cover BAH where my family resides while in school plus minimal costs for myself while out on mandated rotation sites out of state)? I have a feeling it wouldn't happen, yet as stated, I'm mandated to take some of these rotation sites for my terminal degree.

Curious if anyone happen to try or went through a similar situation. It seems very specific so I may have to venture to other avenues to see what has been the greenlight (yes pay for minimal expenses or no).

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say for sure but this one feels like a pretty solid no, they won't pay you anything extra. One thing I've learned in my years on Ch 31 is that, aside from a minor change in housing allowance, the program has very little concern with your dependents, unlike many aspects of the VA compensation side of the house, which do take unique circumstances of dependents into consideration (for example DIC, or money for a caregiver for a homebound veteran). That said, VRC's have great latitude as long as your program cost is under the level of "high cost of attendance." I don't even remember if we talked about the price of your tuition but my guess is that it is over that cap, which makes it difficult for them to wriggle extra money into your case without it being highly scrutinized.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't say for sure but this one feels like a pretty solid no, they won't pay you anything extra. One thing I've learned in my years on Ch 31 is that, aside from a minor change in housing allowance, the program has very little concern with your dependents, unlike many aspects of the VA compensation side of the house, which do take unique circumstances of dependents into consideration (for example DIC, or money for a caregiver for a homebound veteran). That said, VRC's have great latitude as long as your program cost is under the level of "high cost of attendance." I don't even remember if we talked about the price of your tuition but my guess is that it is over that cap, which makes it difficult for them to wriggle extra money into your case without it being highly scrutinized.

It is true that the cost of my program has easily met the high cap threshold just on tuition alone and the fact that it is a private institute (to the tune of nearly $50k a year x 3 years on tuition alone). Plus my housing allowance is $2400 a month. I will still look into it only on the idea that I cannot graduate without fulfilling these rotation sites.

In the end, I'll see what they say. I'm already more than grateful for what is being covered as of right now. This would just be to satisfy my own curiosity if anything. Learning as I go!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is true that the cost of my program has easily met the high cap threshold just on tuition alone and the fact that it is a private institute (to the tune of nearly $50k a year x 3 years on tuition alone). Plus my housing allowance is $2400 a month. I will still look into it only on the idea that I cannot graduate without fulfilling these rotation sites.

In the end, I'll see what they say. I'm already more than grateful for what is being covered as of right now. This would just be to satisfy my own curiosity if anything. Learning as I go!

100% it never hurts to ask. I've seen some people get stuff covered that I never expected, so there is always a shot :D

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, it's likely to be a hard no. I've done 4 away rotations, and only the fees associated with applying for those sites were covered - nothing for travel, nothing for housing etc. These are also required, however what's not specific is the location or field, thus theoretically we could set them up at our home institution as electives while living in the hosue/apt we are already living in through the stipend/BAH if that makes any sense?

It surely doesn't hurt to ask, but even with it being a requirement, that type of stuff is typically a no.

Good luck with it though, and maybe you'll be the one who breaks through that barrier!

Reactions: 1 users