FTC bans noncompetes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

Great for us docs no?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Great for us docs no?
Looks like it will apply to physicians 120 days after the rule is officially published except for those physicians whom are in a senior role. This may include medical directorship being excluded from this rule.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.12.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.12.39 PM.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 34
The main question is whether the FTC can actually enforce this. I doubt this ban gets implemented without a fight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unusual to see gov't making things better instead of worse

Even incompetence can accidentally and occasionally yield results

Reactions: 1 users
FTC ban on noncompetes may not apply to some nonprofit employers/hospitals.

Even if it doesn't apply to every single employed physician in the country (which it should), it certainly makes the smaller number of hospitals it might not apply to a heck of a lot less desirable relatively than they than they were before. Hopefully it will pressure everyone to align.

Chamber of commerce is suing. So will many others. The AHA is unhappy (which tells you it is probably viewed by them as good for docs). The question is will this go into effect while the lawsuits are being figured out.

Chamber of commerce is suing. So will many others. The AHA is unhappy (which tells you it is probably viewed by them as good for docs). The question is will this go into effect while the lawsuits are being figured out.
No, doubtful they can enforce it until the litigation is over. Of course hospitals view it as "good for docs" because it's good for the hospitals. They don't want a cardiologist leaving a hospital and going across town taking all of his/her patients with him/her. Good for docs is really just good for hospitals.

They don't want a cardiologist leaving a hospital and going across town taking all of his/her patients with him/her.

If they don't want them to leave, perhaps they should focus more on incentivizing them to stay instead of keeping them under the thumb of a noncompete, which can likely make it that you have to consider uprooting your whole life to escape a bad job.

Reactions: 2 users
If they don't want them to leave, perhaps they should focus more on incentivizing them to stay instead of keeping them under the thumb of a noncompete, which can likely make it that you have to consider uprooting your whole life to escape a bad job.
Why would they do that when they could offer lower wages and force docs to stay with them with non-competes? You and I understand the way to make a doc not leave -- by using a carrot instead of a stick. Administrators want to use the stick so they can keep the carrot for themselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like it will apply to physicians 120 days after the rule is officially published except for those physicians whom are in a senior role. This may include medical directorship being excluded from this rule.
FTC already clarified they *exclusively* mean c-suite positions where compensation may be complex and elements of compensation are actively negotiated with non-competes being used as a counterweight. Without that high level negotiation, there is no exception. So just c-suite people, not directorship. Also, fun fact - it does NOT exempt high level senior roles, it is that it won't retroactively invalidate it for those people. Everyone else is retroactively invalidated. Nobody can have non-competes going forward in the future.

FTC ban on noncompetes may not apply to some nonprofit employers/hospitals.
FTC already said this argument is nonsense and they specifically addressed this in their ruling that they feel hospitals, including non-profit hospitals, are one of the clearest places where this will see a benefit. They have some legalese argument that even if non-profit institutions are not directly audited by the FTC through their narrow direct oversight powers doesn't mean that they aren't under the greater purview of the FTC to regulate commerce as a whole.

Ironically both of these questions were asked by Jake Tapper two days ago and answered by the FTC chairwoman (and the second one is specifically written in the FTC's statement on this).

Advocate Heath, the 4th largest health system in the US, informed its physicians today that its status as a 501c3 falls outside of the FTC’s jurisdiction, and it will continue to enforce the non-compete clause in every physician’s contract once the rule goes into effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I usually don't like to ask questions that I feel like I'm going to get chastised about not knowing the answer but I legitimately want to know in this scenario. How does this affect ED docs? I've always been under the impression I can work wherever whenever. I've worked multiple PRNs at the same time and switched jobs within 50 miles without any waiting. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Okay I usually don't like to ask questions that I feel like I'm going to get chastised about not knowing the answer but I legitimately want to know in this scenario. How does this affect ED docs? I've always been under the impression I can work wherever whenever. I've worked multiple PRNs at the same time and switched jobs within 50 miles without any waiting. Maybe I'm just missing something.
Depends on your contract. For example, many “academic” sites dont allow docs to work elsewhere while working for them.

U Arizona and Vanderbilt do this. You can not work elsewhere while you work for them. Some of my residents have signed contracts where they can not do any work of any sort without the permission of the hospital.

Say you are an ED doc and you want to open a med spa, you cant. Say someone wants you to consult on a medical device. You cant. Say you want to open an urgent care, you cant.. etc. Say you want to work shifts in another ED you cant….. without their permission.

Your contracts likely dont have this. Many do..

Reactions: 2 users
Advocate Heath, the 4th largest health system in the US, informed its physicians today that its status as a 501c3 falls outside of the FTC’s jurisdiction, and it will continue to enforce the non-compete clause in every physician’s contract once the rule goes into effect.

They're wrong and the FTC has written policy (which, ironically my hospitals firewall blocks :unsure:) stating that it has very clear and historically established control over 501c3's when they are making market-wide policies and that their inability to make non-profit *specific* policies does not invalidate their ability to make "everyone in the market" policies.

Depends on your contract. For example, many “academic” sites dont allow docs to work elsewhere while working for them.

U Arizona and Vanderbilt do this. You can not work elsewhere while you work for them. Some of my residents have signed contracts where they can not do any work of any sort without the permission of the hospital.

Say you are an ED doc and you want to open a med spa, you cant. Say someone wants you to consult on a medical device. You cant. Say you want to open an urgent care, you cant.. etc. Say you want to work shifts in another ED you cant….. without their permission.

Your contracts likely dont have this. Many do..

How would they find out? Asking for a friend

How would they find out? Asking for a friend
Thats fair. However, you have to go through credentialing. When you do that they reach out to all the places you worked previously. I dont know if they do but it wouldnt be hard to have someone cross reference people going through credentialing elsewhere and your active staff?

There might be simpler ways but this isnt my field of expertise. In addition, many states will list all th hospitals you have privileges at so again not rocket science to figure it out.

also why would you sign a contract with that in it?
I think this is easy for people to say. Similar to “I would never work for a CMG”. Let’s say there is a great job and it is paying $50/hr more than job 2.. You arent gonna sign because of this? Thats total nonsense. Will some people avoid it.. sure.. but enough sign that they have that language in there.

If you want to get a job in Denver it is possible you have to work for USACS even if you think they are a putrid organization.