free time??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texst78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in Pharmacy school I am curious as to how much "you" time do you typically have during a normal week? Are extracurricular activities/hobbies near impossible to fit into your schedules? For instance if you were used to lifting weights several times a week or playing some sport prior to school are you now seriously hindered from being able to unwind and alleviate stress?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely have plenty of free time in pharmacy school, but I'm not working. I think it really depends on how much studying you need to do and what kind of grades you want. I'm one that is ok with not getting straight A's (though I think I may have LOL). I value my free time way too much to spend every single second studying. I think its important in such a stressful program to have plenty of time to unwind.

pharmagirl said:
I value my free time way too much to spend every single second studying.

This will worth a lot in future. Keep up good work!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that you have NO free time. It's that you have SIGNIFiCANTLY LESS free time, to the point it sometimes feels like no free time. I work one night a week, and we have a rotation another night of the week. That leaves 3 weeks nights, which are mostly spent studying. On the weekends, unless I have multiple exams the next week (which often is the case) I will have one fun day to do what I want and one work day to study. I'm newly married, and I can definitely say the time required of me for pharm school has made things difficult for us. Not to mention that my husband is a slob and I don't have time to clean anymore. I'm going to have to spend most of my christmas break disinfecting my apartment! (Sigh)

I don't know the real answer. I know my own experience.

Out of an 11 week quarter (including finals), I have 3 weeks where I wouldn't study at all, 2 weeks (midterm and final) where my life was consumed by study, and the other six weeks I can strike a balance.

Even with that, on my worst days, I still had an hour to myself. I'm more productive with short breaks and a nice meal.

I think it depends on the year. At my school second year was the year when you have almost no time at all, while in the first and third years I was able to relax, cook, go work out, etc. Of course, when finals week rolls around the only things you'll be hanging out with are your notes and books.

I was able to work every other weekend during my P3 year.

lord999 said:
I don't know the real answer. I know my own experience.

Out of an 11 week quarter (including finals), I have 3 weeks where I wouldn't study at all, 2 weeks (midterm and final) where my life was consumed by study, and the other six weeks I can strike a balance.

Even with that, on my worst days, I still had an hour to myself. I'm more productive with short breaks and a nice meal.

I said earlier that I had plenty of free time... I probably should have been a little more specific. My schedule is more like the one lord999 mentioned. Our tests sorta ran every other week, so I'd spend one time with quite a bit of free time and then the next week would be nothing but studying... well, except with long breaks for meals and naps. :laugh:

I think it really just depends on the person, but its not nearly as bad as I thought it would be coming into pharmacy school.

what free time?
i barely had any this semester (2nd year) and I'll end up with a 3.0 i'm lucky. it's very tough! we even had a girl get hospitalized for depression because she couldn't handle the stress.

It really depends on the school. If you are at a school with weekly exams and also have research and presentations to do several times a semester, you will be pressed for time.