For those who were career changers…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kods631

Reaction score
Where did you do your post-bacc program? Does it make a difference between 1 year versus 2 years? Just looking for perspectives from students already in medical school. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on your specific situation. If you were a history major and the last time you looked at biology was 9th grade, you may want a program with a bit more handholding that may be a bit longer. Similarly, if you're doing a postbac to improve your GPA in addition to getting the prerequisites done, you might want to spend more time to take more classes. Looking for programs with linkages might also be a good idea if you qualify. If you're restricted by work/life you may only have a small number of programs to choose from. It really is a very individual issue and you need to find the program that best works for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Really depends on your specific situation. If you were a history major and the last time you looked at biology was 9th grade, you may want a program with a bit more handholding that may be a bit longer. Similarly, if you're doing a postbac to improve your GPA in addition to getting the prerequisites done, you might want to spend more time to take more classes. Looking for programs with linkages might also be a good idea if you qualify. If you're restricted by work/life you may only have a small number of programs to choose from. It really is a very individual issue and you need to find the program that best works for you.
Thank you! It wouldn’t be frowned upon to take 2 years? I am in the first situation where I haven’t taken STEM classes in some time, so as much as I would like to do an accelerated 1 year program, I am most concerned about my grades.

Thank you! It wouldn’t be frowned upon to take 2 years? I am in the first situation where I haven’t taken STEM classes in some time, so as much as I would like to do an accelerated 1 year program, I am most concerned about my grades.
I don't think it would be frowned upon. Schools are much more accepting to reinvention these days. I've even had leadership tell me they desire a non-trad student since we've been through more "life" (not sure how much I agree with that statement, just telling you what I've experienced). I think the important thing is choosing the track for you that will lead to the most success for you. If you think you need more time to get better grades, do a 2 year program. After some time off from school, it becomes just proving to them that you can handle the rigors of med school and that you understand the material that you will see.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went with the cheaper route...

I did not do a formal postbacc. I took a few classes at a CC and most at a state university.

Reactions: 1 user
Same as @Splenda88. I did not do a formal program but worked and 1-2 classes a semester from a local community college and a local university to complete the classes I needed.

DIY postbac at a community college could be okay, but it's also important to be able to get a committee letter from somewhere. If your undergraduate premed advisors can help than that's great, but if not it might be better to do a formal program.

I did a 2 year DIY postbacc at a local four year university. The school wasn’t prestigious by any means