Other OT-Related Information For those who didn’t get into any schools, it could be a blessing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prodigiousflame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay I really don’t wish to create a fear mongering thread but as an OT whose almost two years out with a lot of loans to pay off, I’m not thrilled about upcoming Medicare changes in 2019 and 2020 home health reimbursement changes that did not see coming when I was
applying for grad schools.

Just google around for more info.
These changes will affect the home health and snf settings however people might try entering other settings due to there being potentially less need for therapists in those settings.

We don’t know for sure how these changes will affect job demand and pursue ot if it is your absolute passion but there is some worry in the ot community that these changes will become a pps part 2. My point is if you couldn’t get into ot school and you were dying to work in geriatrics, maybe it wasn’t such a terrible thing after all due to these upcoming policy changes

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
okay I really don’t wish to create a fear mongering thread but as an OT whose almost two years out with a lot of loans to pay off, I’m not thrilled about upcoming Medicare changes in 2019 and 2020 home health reimbursement changes that did not see coming when I was
applying for grad schools.

Just google around for more info.
These changes will affect the home health and snf settings however people might try entering other settings due to there being potentially less need for therapists in those settings.

We don’t know for sure how these changes will affect job demand and pursue ot if it is your absolute passion but there is some worry in the ot community that these changes will become a pps part 2. My point is if you couldn’t get into ot school and you were dying to work in geriatrics, maybe it wasn’t such a terrible thing after all due to these upcoming policy changes

Its all over man.

Beestrng! I remember you. Nice to see another veteran on here. It’s hard as a student applying you don’t always see the bigger picture. What are your thoughts on upcoming changes and what settings have you been working in and how is it going?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I'm seeing, SNFs are in trouble... but home health seems to be where people are heading to. However... home health as a new grad is rough. Idk... lol

From what I'm seeing, SNFs are in trouble... but home health seems to be where people are heading to. However... home health as a new grad is rough. Idk... lol

True but in 2020 the same model of reimbursement will occur in the home health setting ): so that’s not exactly a safe bet either