For those who apply for a number of programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponnie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering, in case you go to multiple places for interview, if being asked, will you express your enthusiasm to Every Place and tell them you very much like to join even if in your heart you don't rank them as your top choice? Is it OK to accept a interview or acceptance offer first and later regret and turn it down? Any thought is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

ponnie said:
just wondering, in case you go to multiple places for interview, if being asked, will you express your enthusiasm to Every Place and tell them you very much like to join even if in your heart you don't rank them as your top choice? Is it OK to accept a interview or acceptance offer first and later regret and turn it down? Any thought is appreciated!
When I applied, I accepted every early interview that I received (13 total). It seemed that the "better" programs waited longer to offer interviews, so I ended up cancelling a lot of the ones that I accepted earlier. I only went to six of them. One, I cancelled the day before, because I had been hearing about the program from other interviewees.

One "shady" thing that I've noticed during interviews is that they will ask what other programs you have visited or will be visiting. They will ask what you like and dislike. I never knew what to say when they wanted to dig dirt about other programs.

ponnie said:

That depends. If you really wouldn't mind being there--even if that program isn't #1 in your mind--there is no problem telling them you could be very happy there. Most program directors are astute enough to realize that any competetive applicant will (and should) be non-commital during an interview. They are trying to impress you just as you are trying to impress them...after all, they want to land the applicants they feel are the best just as you want to land your top choice program. Just be tactfully honest.

For the most part programs talk to one another, though. So while cancelling an interview that you have accepted may be fair because the program can then interview one other person that might really want to attend there, just remember word can spread. You don't want to get a rep as someone who has cancelled a few visits as word may get back around and you appear less professional. (For what it's worth, I heard faculty here talking about that in last year's cycle with one of the guys that applied at UNC ortho cancelling at other programs).