General Admissions & OTCAS For students interested in ECU...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents,

I've been talking to Denise from ECU's OT admissions. She's talked to me about their program and the changes that are coming for next year's cycle. Research Methods will not be used as a pre-requisite anymore, and they weigh Statistics, A&PI, and A&PII the most out of all pre-reqs. Also, you can only apply if you have a B- and above in all your pre-requisites (used to be a C). But for the most part, it looks like the program is very interested in numbers rather than the whole applicant, so my friends with low GPAs, I would not apply here.

What are your experiences with ECU?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not so sure that's true. I have a friend that got in with some decent stats, but she has good experience and she's a great writer....she's also in-state. Did you apply for Fall of 2014 or are you thinking about applying for Fall 2015?

Last edited:
ECU... East Carolina? I don't see research methods as a prerequisite for them at all. I wanted to apply there but I don't have a philosophy course :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not so sure that's true. I have a friend that got in with some not-so-impressive stats, but she has good experience and she's a great writer....she's also in-state. Did you apply for Fall of 2014 or are you thinking about applying for Fall 2015?

I'm applying for fall 2014 - they are making these changes in april or may. I think being in-state helped her a little bit.

ECU... East Carolina? I don't see research methods as a prerequisite for them at all. I wanted to apply there but I don't have a philosophy course :/

"Reasoning course as philosophy, logic, ethics method or research inquiry in a social science". My Sociology Research Methods class was going to count, but she said that they were removing that pre-req and only asking for philosophy.

"Reasoning course as philosophy, logic, ethics method or research inquiry in a social science". My Sociology Research Methods class was going to count, but she said that they were removing that pre-req and only asking for philosophy.

Oh, ok. I must have missed that on their website. I really don't want to take another pre-requisite class... I wonder if they would waive the philosophy course for something else I've already taken?

Hi Dobber:

You say you are "applying for fall 2014." The application deadline for fall 2014 has already passed, so did you already apply for fall 2014, and if so, are they making the change retroactive to incoming fall 2014 students and/or current applicants? I have been accepted for fall 2014 and I'm curious to know if any changes to prerequisites are going to be retroactive to new entering students.

Also, although they may be raising the bar in terms of minimum grade requirements for application, I tend to think that they will still consider the applicant as a whole vis-a-vis life experiences and personal characteristics as conveyed through the goal statement and letters of reference. If you believe you have what it takes to be a good therapist (compassion, empathy, sound critical reasoning, etc.), have life experiences that would enhance your effectiveness as a therapist, and possess strong interpersonal skills, than I would apply. Of course grades count, but they are just one factor under consideration ( albeit an important one).

Hi Dobber:

You say you are "applying for fall 2014." The application deadline for fall 2014 has already passed, so did you already apply for fall 2014, and if so, are they making the change retroactive to incoming fall 2014 students and/or current applicants? I have been accepted for fall 2014 and I'm curious to know if any changes to prerequisites are going to be retroactive to new entering students.

Also, although they may be raising the bar in terms of minimum grade requirements for application, I tend to think that they will still consider the applicant as a whole vis-a-vis life experiences and personal characteristics as conveyed through the goal statement and letters of reference. If you believe you have what it takes to be a good therapist (compassion, empathy, sound critical reasoning, etc.), have life experiences that would enhance your effectiveness as a therapist, and possess strong interpersonal skills, than I would apply. Of course grades count, but they are just one factor under consideration ( albeit an important one).

I meant 2015. It was a typo, sorry. I don't know, I've been chatting with Denise and that's the vibe she's been giving me, you know? But it is good to have different perspectives about their application process. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the clarification, and good luck with your application next year!!