For IM, is there any strategic reason to take Step 2 early if Step 1>265?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some schools require Step 2 CK. But aside from those schools, for super competitive internal medicine programs, would it still be advantageous to have a CK score on file if your step is above say 265 or 270? Is it even worth worrying about--as in do some schools, even if they dont require it, still change their evaluation of an applicant if they don't have a CK if their step 1 score is at that level?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not, if AMG. Many would argue that Step 1 scores in the 250+ range are adequate to postpone Step 2 CK until later.

Absolutely not, if AMG. Many would argue that Step 1 scores in the 250+ range are adequate to postpone Step 2 CK until later.

Sorry, yes to clarify--AMG. That is reasonable, I guess the only fear in the back of my mind is that a really competitive program might perceive lack of release of CK scores, or intentional delaying of CK till after ranking, or whatever, as a risk-averse or "hiding something" type of behavior. At the same time, I know 265+ is extremely good for any IM, even Harvard or Hopkins, so maybe/probably they won't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, yes to clarify--AMG. That is reasonable, I guess the only fear in the back of my mind is that a really competitive program might perceive lack of release of CK scores, or intentional delaying of CK till after ranking, or whatever, as a risk-averse or "hiding something" type of behavior. At the same time, I know 265+ is extremely good for any IM, even Harvard or Hopkins, so maybe/probably they won't care.

I went in with a 250+ score and I think that was fine. They have no reason to suspect that you would do a bad job on Step 2 CK if you did well on Step 1 and in your clerkships. Generally, history repeats itself.

I went in with a 250+ score and I think that was fine. They have no reason to suspect that you would do a bad job on Step 2 CK if you did well on Step 1 and in your clerkships. Generally, history repeats itself.
Ok thanks, Is there any issue with just taking it before applying and then withhold releasing, or should I just wait till after ranking? That way, i could always release if I get a somewhat close score (maybe above 260)

Ok thanks, Is there any issue with just taking it before applying and then withhold releasing, or should I just wait till after ranking? That way, i could always release if I get a somewhat close score (maybe above 260)

You can take it any time between 9/15 and say 1/16 (note that the first 2 weeks of January are "off" time and you can't take the test) and still have it in some time before final ranking. Since ranking may happen as early as mid January rather than mid February, you may want to take it by 12/31.

I think it's nice to take it late enough so it doesn't mess up the nice work your Step 1 did, but early enough so that if it's consistent or improved you can get it out to them some time in January or early February.

You can take it any time between 9/15 and say 1/16 (note that the first 2 weeks of January are "off" time and you can't take the test) and still have it in some time before final ranking. Since ranking may happen as early as mid January rather than mid February, you may want to take it by 12/31.

I think it's nice to take it late enough so it doesn't mess up the nice work your Step 1 did, but early enough so that if it's consistent or improved you can get it out to them some time in January or early February.

What do you mean "late enough"--if you aren't planning on releasing it, does it matter how early you take it?

What do you mean "late enough"--if you aren't planning on releasing it, does it matter how early you take it?

If you take it too early, it will automatically release with your step 1 when you apply on 9/15. If you take it shortly after that period, you will have full control over if/when you re-release your usmle transcript.

same goes with CS I'm assuming?

Also, did you mean if the score is reported before 9/15? As in, if I took it 9/1, the score wouldn't be available by the application date, right?

True, I don't think it would be available, but I don't know if they can see when you took it, either.

Hard to say whether CS or CK are more important. CS won't elevate you in their estimation (not numerical, kind of a goofy test), but it may relieve them because it's a PITA to schedule if you happen to fail. If you fail CK (won't happen) it's trivial to retake.