Foot Lymphatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yallwild

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

First year medical student here. I figured you all would be the best people to provide references to books, sites, charts, etc. that outlines the lymphatics of the feet. Any other lower limb references are welcome also.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello All,

First year medical student here. I figured you all would be the best people to provide references to books, sites, charts, etc. that outlines the lymphatics of the feet. Any other lower limb references are welcome also.
So an easy way to think of it and speaking in mostly general terms, dorsomedial and plantar-medial are going to follow the great saphenous vein into the superficial vertical group of inguinal lymph nodes. The lateral aspect of the foot will follow the small saphenous vein into the popliteal nodes and then will follow the femoral vein into the deep inguinal nodes. That was for superficial drainage. If there is deep drainage happening they mostly follow the major named vessels in the feet and go into the popliteal nodes then ascend to the deep inguinal nodes. So clinically if there is a medial infection and you want to palpate nodes you would first assess the inguinal nodes and if there was a lateral infection assess the popliteal nodes. I hope this is helpful!

Hello All,

If this is for gross anat then whatever is in Moore or Rohen or Netter is good enough.

So an easy way to think of it and speaking in mostly general terms, dorsomedial and plantar-medial are going to follow the great saphenous vein into the superficial vertical group of inguinal lymph nodes. The lateral aspect of the foot will follow the small saphenous vein into the popliteal nodes and then will follow the femoral vein into the deep inguinal nodes. That was for superficial drainage. If there is deep drainage happening they mostly follow the major named vessels in the feet and go into the popliteal nodes then ascend to the deep inguinal nodes. So clinically if there is a medial infection and you want to palpate nodes you would first assess the inguinal nodes and if there was a lateral infection assess the popliteal nodes. I hope this is helpful!
wow that was so simple to understand lol. Thanks a bunch!!!