Foot & Ankle Surgical Text Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD/DPM

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just had a quick opinion question. I'm starting residency in the next 4 months and I want to buy a F&A text, but I'm not sure if I should buy: Surgery of the Foot and Ankle by Coughlin (2006) or McGlamry's Comprehensive Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery (2001). Of course thinking since I will be a podiatrist I should buy McGlamry's, but they won't come out with a new edition for a couple years. And I know Coughlin's is an MD F&A orthopod, but what's the real big difference? I've heard that it's actually a really good book. But, when McGlamry's comes out with a new edition then I'll buy it, but that might not be until my 2nd-3rd year in residency. Thanks, let me know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

You can get Coughlin and Mann free from the Synthes residency education program. I like McGlamary's for Coleman block test. I would suggest maybe Mark Myerson's book.

Dr. Feelgood, to get the Coughlin/Mann text free from the Synthes people, then I have to be already in residency? Could I get it as a student? Also, is this something that you can go out and get or do you need the Synthes people to come to your residency program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dr. Feelgood. I actually went on the website www.synthesresident.com read about there program. Basically, as a resident you do all there modules and readings and gain points, where then you can buy different ortho texts from there library with the points you earned from their classes. Sounds great, but now I got to wait until I'm a resident.

Thanks Dr. Feelgood. I actually went on the website www.synthesresident.com read about there program. Basically, as a resident you do all there modules and readings and gain points, where then you can buy different ortho texts from there library with the points you earned from their classes. Sounds great, but now I got to wait until I'm a resident.

Yeah but for 45 minutes of online b.s. :)bullcrap:) a few hundred dollar textbooks are worth it. I like the Myerson b/c it includes a DVD. I would say it is like 1/2 COughlin and Mann and 1/2 Chang.

your residency program should have money available each year for each resident for books and other stuff.

I would buy one of the above mentioned texts then wait for residency.

McGlamry - good for history and info about pathology and procedures.

Coughlin and Mann - good for anatomic pictures and procedural techniques - step by step.

Changs - great explanation of procedures step by step and great picts

your residency program should have money available each year for each resident for books and other stuff.

I would buy one of the above mentioned texts then wait for residency.

McGlamry - good for history and info about pathology and procedures.

Coughlin and Mann - good for anatomic pictures and procedural techniques - step by step.

Changs - great explanation of procedures step by step and great picts

Yea, I like Chang as well as Coughlin and Mann.

i already have the Coughlin and Mann books and just ordered the Chang book from the Synthes program....wouldn't recommend McGlamry except as a paperweight

i already have the Coughlin and Mann books and just ordered the Chang book from the Synthes program....wouldn't recommend McGlamry except as a paperweight

Most attendings will expect you to know the info in McGlamry. When pimped in the OR it is OK to quote journals but they want to know if you know the basics as well.

Before you can read journals and understand them you need the basics. McGlamry is good for the basics.

I have to disagree I think McGlamry's is expensive toliet paper. I would prefer a good journal article, especially since textbooks are at least 5 years behind.

Hello all, I just had a quick opinion question. I'm starting residency in the next 4 months and I want to buy a F&A text, but I'm not sure if I should buy: Surgery of the Foot and Ankle by Coughlin (2006) or McGlamry's Comprehensive Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery (2001). Of course thinking since I will be a podiatrist I should buy McGlamry's, but they won't come out with a new edition for a couple years. And I know Coughlin's is an MD F&A orthopod, but what's the real big difference? I've heard that it's actually a really good book. But, when McGlamry's comes out with a new edition then I'll buy it, but that might not be until my 2nd-3rd year in residency. Thanks, let me know what you guys think.

Supposedly New McGlamry comes out in November

Man, I bet that release is as anticipated as the new Indian Jones.

I'm not sure if the new McGlamry's will be out in Nov. Last Dec. on interviews with Penn-Presby I asked Dr. Michael Downey (one of the cheif editors of McGlamry's) when the new edition will be out and he said a few years. That's why I think it won't be until '09 or '10.

I have to disagree I think McGlamry's is expensive toliet paper. I would prefer a good journal article, especially since textbooks are at least 5 years behind.

The fact that you have an oppinion about the book tells me that you have perrused (sp?) it. How can you know if you prefer journal articles to the book after having looked thru McGlamry's first? Once you know info it is difficult to remember not knowing it. My point is to someone who is looking for reference material McGlamry is a good start. Then after amassing some knowledge journal articles are useful.

The fact that you have an oppinion about the book tells me that you have perrused (sp?) it. How can you know if you prefer journal articles to the book after having looked thru McGlamry's first? Once you know info it is difficult to remember not knowing it. My point is to someone who is looking for reference material McGlamry is a good start. Then after amassing some knowledge journal articles are useful.

I have to back up feelgood here. There are so many better textbooks out there than Maglamery. After getting my hands on Mann this year I have since been using my mcglamery as a doorstop.

I have to back up feelgood here. There are so many better textbooks out there than Maglamery. After getting my hands on Mann this year I have since been using my mcglamery as a doorstop.

I mentioned Mann as well as a good book for procedures and pictures.

I turn to Mann before McGlamry most of the time.

But again - you have used McGlamry so you know what info is in it or not in it. If we advise the next classes to ignore McGlamry they will not know what is in the book at all. It is a major book for podiatric surgery, I do not think that it should just be overlooked.

I never said it was the best text to look at or the number one source. But I think it is better than toilett paper or a door stop.

1st as a door stop it takes up too much room and I would trip over it.
2. my toilett paper is plain white and has absolutely no useful info in it. McGlamry has pictures in it and some historical words.

Hey, i have Coughlin and Mann's book (actually it's 2007, previous editions 1999, 93, 86, 78, etc). It's 2 volumes and has a lot more than McGlamery's because it's more updated. I was surprised to see it's also got videos and a lot of biomechanical stuff. It's not as historical as McGlamry's, and it doesn't have any DPM writing any chapters, however the original editor/author of "Surgery of the Foot" was Henri DuVries (he was a SCPM graduate and CMS graduate, separately, but that was a long time ago).

Yeah until McGlamry updates its not worth getting something 10 years old when newer material comes out. Why buy a classic labtop that works well, when you can upgrade to the newest laptop that's works ...well.... up to speed. eh, it's your money.

btw, yeah I got it through Synthes resident and sat through a ton of online stuff, most of it did not pertain to DPM SOP, but it was worth sitting through it to get this 2 volume set for free. some residencies don't have the luxury of this program or a book fund, so definitely check it out from your director.

I don't plan to buy McGlamry's, but i do think it's an important book for our profession. It should definitely be supported, but i hope they can take the book into a great new direction. I don't know what it needs, but it definitely needs to make noise to stay relevant.

I'm not sure if the new McGlamry's will be out in Nov. Last Dec. on interviews with Penn-Presby I asked Dr. Michael Downey (one of the cheif editors of McGlamry's) when the new edition will be out and he said a few years. That's why I think it won't be until '09 or '10.

Dont know. I went to see how much it cost at our bookstore (it is a required text for one of our classes). The lady did not have any. She looked up in her fancy computer to see why she had sent them all back to the publisher (she could not remember why) and said a new edition would be out in NOvember. Just the info I was given...

You're at a much more advanced point in your training than I am, but I'll chime in to give you one book idea:
I think that, until you get that resident CME allowance, you need to really get the most for your $. Yes, a $700+ Coughlin 2007 with the DVDs would be nice, but I'm sure not gonna spend that out of pocket (luckily our library just bought a copy or two).

I think I got a fantastic deal when I bought McGlamry's Forefoot Surgery. It's the just first 20+ chapters: nails and hammertoes all the way through Lapidus/CBWO and callus distraction. You should be able to get it on half.com for 20-25% of the cost of the 2-volume full set... I think I paid about $60. I don't really consider it a paperweight at all. I like to read Yu, Downey, and other experienced surgeon's pearls, radiographic tips, and pre-op thinking. Also, if you are going to a stepwise residency program (ie WP), you probably don't need to fully understand a medial malleolar osteotomy, ADTA, or a Kouts right away anyways, so the forefoot topics are a perfectly adequate launching pad.

For now (read: on student budget... in terms of both time and money), I do fine with McG Forefoot (great for history and pre-op stuff), PI manual, and the 1993 Coughlin and Mann (best for rearfoot and procedures step-by-step). I just ordered Chang's at the ACFAS conference to get some good color pics and more info. There's always the current literature if you need real in-depth info for a presentation.