Follow-Up Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarkMarkMark

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are many Rad Onc programs sending out post interview follow-up "we-really-liked-you-and-want-you-to-come-here" letters like is commonly done for Transitional or Internal Medicine programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about this year, but I hear its as bad as last, so the answer would be no. I matched last year and got no letters of encouragement from any programs. Its a buyers market, unlike the prelim and transitional year programs which is a definite seller's market. They would love for you to come do scut and work your ass off for a year. Less work for them. Maybe I am
jaded after doing 6 months of internship, but lets face it,
internship is a craptacular deal.
Rad/Onc on the other hand is a dream come true for the less
than 100 people that actually match. This job, the most
perfect job imaginable, is waiting for me at the end of this
year. Cool toys, physics, research, good patients, interesting
medicine, etc. Rad/Onc is the perfect job. I can't wait to start.
The programs know that there are thousands of people like
me waiting to get a shot, they aren't going to come fawning
over you unless you are a superstar. Of which there are plenty
applying for the job. If you get a spot, consider yourself lucky,
but don't expect people to kiss your ass.

I don't know about actual letters, but I have heard from friends of a few places making phone calls or emails. Unfortunately, they tell me take nothing seriously without a contract in your hand. It's the classic story of someone getting burned because they were lead to believe one thing from a correspondence and banked on it. From what I have been able to conclude from people who have gone through this process, it may be beneficial to make a phone call to 1 or 2 places that you are for sure going to rank at the top and tell them. Of course, don't use the words "#1" unless you really mean it, and don't tell more than one program that if you do. This is all a big mind game, but unfortunately one it seems like everyone is playing.

Yeah, I agree with Oscar. Its way too small a field to be misleading. There is no doubt all these folks talk to each other. For example, one program I went to even somehow knew when and where my previous three interviews had been . . .

Plus, in field this size, you're inevitably going to be running into the same Chairs and PD's you decieved this year throughout your 4 years of residency, oral boards, and maybe even future job interviews.