FM Shelf Study Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpremed12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I have finished one pass of UWorld and since FM is my last shelf before dedicated for Step 2, I was wondering which of the two plans is better for my studying for the FM shelf and Step 2:

1. UWorld FM & Ambulatory Medicine Incorrects (All) + OB, Peds, IM Incorrects (as many as I can)
or

2) UWorld FM & Ambulatory Medicine Incorrects (All) + Amboss FM new questions (as many as I can)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone! I have finished one pass of UWorld and since FM is my last shelf before dedicated for Step 2, I was wondering which of the two plans is better for my studying for the FM shelf and Step 2:

1. UWorld FM & Ambulatory Medicine Incorrects (All) + OB, Peds, IM Incorrects (as many as I can)
or

2) UWorld FM & Ambulatory Medicine Incorrects (All) + Amboss FM new questions (as many as I can)

I did mysteriously well on my FM shelf. I don't know how UWorld is for it. All UWorld is is a good index of USLME topics. You won't get questions representative of FM shelf on UW. I recommend:

1.) Case Files. Go though a chapter a day. Focus on differentials for each presentation, MSK (shoulder, hip, knee, foot, etc). Don't neglect the rarers ones because those are often tested.
2.) Family Medicine ITEs: Each one has 200ish questions. Do as many as possible. I used to know where they were. Log in and see if some of them are here: In-Training Examination | ABFM | American Board of Family Medicine

Important Consideration for OP:
Since USMLE Step 2 CK is around the corner, obviously focus on UW over #1/#2. I can hardly imagine honoring FM shelf being a major priority at this point late in the year. I'm just saying strictly for FM and for those with FM shelfs down the line, the above is usually best if your primary goal is to honor that shelf.

My 2 Cents:
This will become increasingly important with CK being the main metric for residencies now. I'd like to chime on M3/Step 2 philosophy looking back. I think one thing going in I did which was low value was prioritizing UW during rotations. My logic was it was high yield for shelves and at the same time was preparing me for CK. It's not a silver bullet. There are better resources for each shelf (ACOG for OB/GYN, ABFM ITE for family, etc., MKSAP/ITE for medicine, etc.) Also UWorld I feel is best used as an assessment tool during dedicated to guide your studying. I recommend you pick a rotation you care less about towards then and split your time between USMLE Step 2/rotation and then take a dedicated 1-2 month period to study for it. I would say OnlineMedEd is a better resource to use for the individual clerkships not to do well on the shelf per se, but to understand the basics to know what's going on before rotations and serve as a conceptual framework you can add to. You can further build on that foundation with UW/Case Files/Rotation specific class material. Then focus on UW during dedicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user