Florida Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aureus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello out there,

Anybody have opinions about the programs in Florida? Specifically, Palmetto, Plantation, Margate, and Hollywood? I've heard mixed things, just wanted to see what other people thought....thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello out there,

Anybody have opinions about the programs in Florida? Specifically, Palmetto, Plantation, Margate, and Hollywood? I've heard mixed things, just wanted to see what other people thought....thanks.

I have heard good things about plantation and hollwood. that is all I know.

Hello out there,

I've heard good things about Orlando East and JFK in Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard good things about Orlando East and JFK in Miami.

Jonwill, did you not read the question? she did not ask about East ORlando. JK

East orlando is a great program. I visited for a few days and interviewed with them.

Jonwill, did you not read the question? she did not ask about East ORlando. JK

East orlando is a great program. I visited for a few days and interviewed with them.

Word on the street is that Krabmas is being highly recruited by one of the programs in northern Florida :D

Word on the street is that Krabmas is being highly recruited by one of the programs in northern Florida :D

by northern do you mean just south of georgia? You know they want me:cool:

but they can't have me:p

you always want more what you can't have:smuggrin:

I can't believe neither one of you will be there. Krab you have got to find a way to make it out for a couple of days. Oh well, I will keep you posted on the status of our resolution. It should pass.

I can't believe neither one of you will be there. Krab you have got to find a way to make it out for a couple of days. Oh well, I will keep you posted on the status of our resolution. It should pass.

I hope so.

When is it again?

Can anyone else reply with pertinent information regarding residencies in South Florida? thanks.

Can anyone else reply with pertinent information regarding residencies in South Florida? thanks.

sorry we got off the subject of the thread.

The people that frequent this site are mostly from the midwest and know about those programs and some other selective programs.

usually if I say something like "florida students aren't as helpful as some other schools" they will start to post. :smuggrin:

we'll see if that gets you more info.:love:

Wow you are so funny! I would be willing to bet that the top students from Barry will land residencies just as competitive as the ones you are shooting for. Don't down the entire school! We actually have some great students. However, Barry does attract some really bad ones also.

sorry we got off the subject of the thread.

The people that frequent this site are mostly from the midwest and know about those programs and some other selective programs.

usually if I say something like "florida students aren't as helpful as some other schools" they will start to post. :smuggrin:

we'll see if that gets you more info.:love:

Wow you are so funny! I would be willing to bet that the top students from Barry will land residencies just as competitive as the ones you are shooting for. Don't down the entire school! We actually have some great students. However, Barry does attract some really bad ones also.

See, I got you to post. Mission completed:p

I have friends at Barry and I know that not all students there are bad. But I have heard some of the issues that the students deal with.

When prospective students ask me about a school I tell them what I know about the school it self - the faculty, admin, facilities. things that are unlikely to change every year. The students change every year.

See, I got you to post. Mission completed:p

I have friends at Barry and I know that not all students there are bad. But I have heard some of the issues that the students deal with.

When prospective students ask me about a school I tell them what I know about the school it self - the faculty, admin, facilities. things that are unlikely to change every year. The students change every year.

Its just frustrating that we get lumped in with the others!!!

I'm at Barry and have talked with a few of the current 4th year students. All of them have a couple manditory "home months" in Miami, and many of them did some or even all 6 of their externships at south Florida clerkships also. It sounds like many Barry students want to stay in Florida due to family, so those spots get pretty darn competitive. I'm sure many northern students are looking to get to better weather also; Florida sure seems like paradise when you first get here.

Are you at Barry? If so, just talk to some of the 4th year students or visit the externship office since I'm sure there's a ton of student comments on the exterships.

I'm only a second year student, so I don't start clinics until this summer. The Barry Foot and Ankle clinics you rotate around in Miami are ok but nothing spectacular... pretty standard for pod teaching clinics. I can't really comment on the DPMs much... I know a couple Barry faculty DPMs are also residency or fellowship directors; maybe I could tell you a bit more in a year or so if you still need info.

Personally, I don't think I'm too interested in staying in south Florida, so you'll have one less good student vying for those Miami spots in 2009 lol ;) . My Espanol is definetly mas o menos - heavily on the menos end. Many hispanic patients, especially elderly but even some younger ones, speak very little English. When you also add in the traffic and the humidity, it's still quite nice here but just not for me... I'll almost surely be heading back to the midwest circa Mich/Ohio/Penn. If I did do a Florida residency, I'd have to go to north Florida or the gulf side where the weather isn't quite so hot.