Flomax causing intraop hypotension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greenbayslacker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering, based on tamsulosin's mechanism of action, why is it not regarded as a culprit for causing intraop hypotension? Direct a1 antagonism would in theory not only cause vasodilation but also block the action of phenylephrine. ACEI/ARBs are talked about ad nauseum with relation to hypotension, but I have never seen any mention of Flomax. There are some case reports out there of patients having low BP after starting the medication, but nothing about intraop effects.

EDIT: After further digging, tamsulosin hits the alpha 1-A receptors versus alpha 1-B in the vasculature

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am wondering, based on tamsulosin's mechanism of action, why is it not regarded as a culprit for causing intraop hypotension? Direct a1 antagonism would in theory not only cause vasodilation but also block the action of phenylephrine. ACEI/ARBs are talked about ad nauseum with relation to hypotension, but I have never seen any mention of Flomax. There are some case reports out there of patients having low BP after starting the medication, but nothing about intraop effects.

EDIT: After further digging, tamsulosin hits the alpha 1-A receptors versus alpha 1-B in the vasculature
Though some people are dicks everywhere. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen severe vasoplegia after induction that couldn't be otherwise explained, after going through absolutely everything else on the differential and complete workup that's what we all chalked it up to.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I've seen severe vasoplegia after induction that couldn't be otherwise explained, after going through absolutely everything else on the differential and complete workup that's what we all chalked it up to.
Did you have a swan or tee?

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users