Navy Flight Surgeon and Eyesight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mewalston

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but here goes:

I'm a Navy HPSP student starting this year as an M1. During MEPS, I tested as colorblind (deuteranomaly, which I knew about), and lacking depth perception (which I didn't know about). I also have floaters, but was never asked AFAIK and did not volunteer this information. Otherwise, I have excellent visual acuity.

My question: does this mean I can never be a flight surgeon? I'm not really wedded to the idea of being a flight surgeon, but I'm kind of an aviation nerd and I love flying.

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

The color blind portion is non-waiverable.

You could be an aeromedical examiner, but wouldn't be able to earn your wings.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

For color-blind: According to the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide "waivers have been granted for aeromedical and other Class II aircrew applicants on a case-by-case basis."

So it is possible. The default answer will likely be "no." However, flight is hurting for people so don't accept "no" for an answer.

Depth perception should be waiverable as well for an aeromedical officer, but the default answer will also likely be "no."

Fight for it and you might be able to get it.

Members don't see this ad :)

You could be an aeromedical examiner, but wouldn't be able to earn your wings.

Waiverable for Army and AF. In the AF I think it restricts you to certain airframes. The Army is all helos anyway.

Not sure about Navy regs

I'm color deficient and logged about 600 hours in helos, including some front seat time in the OH 58D

A lot of people fail that depth perception thing I wouldn't worry about that.

The regs by the way are available somewhere on line you can look it up for yourself. Make sure you are referencing the flight standards as Cooperdog did above.

Good luck

- ex 61N

I don't think you'd make it through NAMI. If you really want to do FS...consider a different branch. If you go to NAMI and get NPQ, you could end up an AME, which is a FS without all of the perks of being a FS. I honestly don't know if you'd make it through the UMO physical.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't think you'd make it through NAMI. If you really want to do FS...consider a different branch. If you go to NAMI and get NPQ, you could end up an AME, which is a FS without all of the perks of being a FS. I honestly don't know if you'd make it through the UMO physical.

Except he should know the waiver status before he gets there.

Except he should know the waiver status before he gets there.

That would take quite a bit of logistics. He would have to have a flight surgeon comfortable with communicating with NAMI. He'd have to have a flight physical with all required vision documents before internship. If he waits until internship, there likely won't be enough time for the waiver process to play out before submitting his rank list.

I honestly don't think he'll get waived. If it was color vision...maybe. Depth perception, floaters, and color vision? Tough sale, even for a FS. NAMI NPQ's less on a daily basis.

That would take quite a bit of logistics. He would have to have a flight surgeon comfortable with communicating with NAMI. He'd have to have a flight physical with all required vision documents before internship. If he waits until internship, there likely won't be enough time for the waiver process to play out before submitting his rank list.

I honestly don't think he'll get waived. If it was color vision...maybe. Depth perception, floaters, and color vision? Tough sale, even for a FS. NAMI NPQ's less on a daily basis.

For Navy all of this is done prior to application for FS so they would know before October. Or at least December before the match list comes out.

For Navy all of this is done prior to application for FS so they would know before October. Or at least December before the match list comes out.

I know the prelim LFF physical is done before the match, but are waivers expedited to get processed before the match? I ask because it took practically an act of God or a very persistent FS to get waivers processed by 3 months in the fleet.

I know the prelim LFF physical is done before the match, but are waivers expedited to get processed before the match? I ask because it took practically an act of God or a very persistent FS to get waivers processed by 3 months in the fleet.

Yes, that is all done prematch. Waivers for flight surgeons are quite a bit easier to deal with than those who will actually be commanding the aircraft.

Same thing happens for the dive docs.