Firstweek as gen surg intern makes me realize why I went into uro.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think that the stereotype of general surgeons being weenies is not true. But honestly, I have found so many more jerk attendings in gen surg as compared to urology that I'm really glad that I went the uro route.

For those of you thinking about gen surg, I'd highly recommend a change in plans and opting for the urology life. You can do all the big cases that a general surgeon does, but still be able to provide definitive treatment to patients in the clinic. this is something that general surgeons really can't do.

Only 51 more weeks to go.

Members don't see this ad.

bobbyseal said:
I'd like to think that the stereotype of general surgeons being weenies is not true. But honestly, I have found so many more jerk attendings in gen surg as compared to urology that I'm really glad that I went the uro route.

i love it when doctors use slang terms appropriate for their choice of specialty. i giggled on the inside every time i heard one of the urologists say "pissed off," or one of the gi docs yell "****!"

anyways, good luck with your internship. above all, don't lose your humanity through in the next 50-odd weeks.

MDgonnabe said:
i love it when doctors use slang terms appropriate for their choice of specialty. i giggled on the inside every time i heard one of the urologists say "pissed off," or one of the gi docs yell "****!"

anyways, good luck with your internship. above all, don't lose your humanity through in the next 50-odd weeks.
I'm trying... Thank God for post call day off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, GS sucks. You are lucky for being interested in Urology, any only have to do 1 year of GS. Me on the other hand, I HAVE TO go through a complete General Surgery residency (and actually be a General Surgeon) before I can do what I really like....Pediatric CT sx. :mad:

Leukocyte said:
Yes, GS sucks. You are lucky for being interested in Urology, any only have to do 1 year of GS. Me on the other hand, I HAVE TO go through a complete General Surgery residency (and actually be a General Surgeon) before I can do what I really like....Pediatric CT sx. :mad:

Ugh. Have fun buddy. 5 years of general surgery, then a few more years of ct surgery, and then some time on ped's ct surgery. You'll be old and gray before you get a chance to repair any esophageal atresia by yourself.

But, on the other hand if that's what you need to do, you can't deny it. Have fun.

Hang in there buddy!

joe

bobbyseal said:

For those of you thinking about gen surg, I'd highly recommend a change in plans and opting for the urology life. You can do all the big cases that a general surgeon does, but still be able to provide definitive treatment to patients in the clinic. this is something that general surgeons really can't do.

Only 51 more weeks to go.
dEAR bOBBYSEAL: YOU MAY NOT LIKE YOUR ATTENDINGS BUT IF YOU WANT TO DO BIG CASES LEARN SOME GENERAL SURGERY AND HOW TO CARE FOR SICK PATIENTS. WE MADE A BIG MISTAKE DECREASING THE TIME ON GENERAL SURGERY SO WE MAY END UP LIKE THE GYNECOLOGISTS! GOOD LUCK

ky_at_hopkins said:
dEAR bOBBYSEAL: YOU MAY NOT LIKE YOUR ATTENDINGS BUT IF YOU WANT TO DO BIG CASES LEARN SOME GENERAL SURGERY AND HOW TO CARE FOR SICK PATIENTS. WE MADE A BIG MISTAKE DECREASING THE TIME ON GENERAL SURGERY SO WE MAY END UP LIKE THE GYNECOLOGISTS! GOOD LUCK

Are fellowship trained Gynecologists that bad.

ky_at_hopkins said:

I appreciate your encouragement and advice. I do enjoy general surgery. I think it's a good foundation to take into my urology years. However, I get frustrated with the "old guard" attitude that since an attending's residency was horrible and she/her must make my life horrible too. I feel like that kind of attitude is very immature and frankly, I got over that initiation crap in high school. I know that I make mistakes in the OR and that I need to be corrected. I guess it's frustrating because the attendings at this private practice hospital want someone who can operate and assist, but aren't willing to put the time into training someone to be able to do what they want. I guess it's the paradox of residency.

How worse off is your programg having decrease the number of general surgery years? Certainly, the extra time on general surgery allows your residents to be more proficient in the or and on the floor. I can imagine it is probably difficult working with your junior residents given their lack of experience as compared to what your senior residents were like back then. However, I still think the quality of resident hasn't changed. If you continue to get good people into a program, you'll end up with strong chief residents. The residents will just have to learn at a quicker pace.

bobbyseal said:
You can do all the big cases that a general surgeon does

Um, not quite.
You do get to do a buttload more rectals though.
No pun intended.

toxic-megacolon said:
Um, not quite.
You do get to do a buttload more rectals though.
No pun intended.

Cystectomy with neobladder construction is as good a case as any kind of proctocolectomy with ileal pouch.

Gen surgeons do as many if not more rectal exams than a urologist. Hemorrhoids, fissures, abscesses, pilonidal cysts, etc. Have fun.

Also, enjoy the never ending flow of appendectomies at 2am while the urologists are sleeping.