MPH Finding Research During my MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhsomanyquestions

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling very overwhelmed at this point when it comes to beginning my MPH and I'm hoping that I can get some questions cleared up before I start in the fall..this is kind of long and convoluted so sorry in advance.

So I was recently accepted into my top MPH program and my concentration will be epi. When I first applied to the program, I was really interested in health disparities and chronic disease. Since my acceptance, I have done some more research and found that I am actually particularly interested in long-term outcomes of life or death decision-making in the emergency department (ex. time/amount of epi given in cardiac arrest, emergency thoracotomy in the ED, etc.)

Ok here are my questions:

1. Is this something that I would be able to pursue with an MPH? I have looked into the public health faculty at the school I am attending and I don't see any that are interested in acute care, most are interested in chronic and/or infectious disease.
2. Any advice for how to find a mentor for this particular interest?
3. Generally speaking, is the MPH more heavily research-focused or classroom-focused?
4. I feel like I have a lot that I want to accomplish in what feels like such a small amount of time. Any suggestions on how to narrow my focus a bit?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: