Finally, DAT is finished.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is today - 8/23, actually yesterday. I took DAT and I am really excited about my score. It might be the happiest day for me since I decided to quit the job and changed the career.

AA: 22
PAT: 18 (Do you think this score is acceptable for CA schools?)
Science: 20
Bio: 19
G Chem: 18
O Chem: 25
QR: 30
RC: 17

I would like to thank Yah-E. Andy, thank you for discussing and answering my questions about DAT, especially before your 7/14 exam. Appreciate.

Tinker and Gavin, thanks for answering my question"S". Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Great scores, Andy! I'm very proud of you! You'll be a D1 in no time! Good luck in your acceptances!

:clap:

Great Job !!!!

With a AA of 22 you are on your to a dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grettlin, I am in the same boat. I have a 21/17 and I also want to apply to California schools. I know for sure USC, and Loma Linda will accept those scores. It's just UOP and the UCs I am worried about. I am gonna try to contact the admission offices and find out. I let you know if I hear anything. Congrats on your scores! It is higher than most of the out state schools.

Thank you guys. This website is extremely helpful to me. It is also an encouragement while I feel tired. By reading some people get into dental schools, it really inspires me to go on.
Also, it is really a good place to meet people. Hope we can see each other in the future at interview.

Hi SloppyJoe, we are in the same boat. I think UC schools are looking for "perfect" scores, like 20+/20+ quoted from their website. I actually read Barron's Medical/Dental school handbook. They also report this number. You know what? I might expect too much from UC schools, but other state schools (I know we will become out-the-state students). I am trying to contact Eva at USC, but it seems she is busy recently. I will let you know when I find out what they think.

Hey Andy,

That is awesome score. I'm sure you will be at ucsf next year. Let me know if you will come. I'll be your big sib and save all my stuff for you.

Tink

But what if I don't want to go to UCSF? :laugh: Would you still be my "big sis"?

I know, I'm not the Andy you're talking to. The Andy you're talking to is coming to Nova, right Andy? :D

The big "bro" Andy and big "sis" Tinker,
Both of your schools are excellent. UCSF is good at research and NOVA is good at clinic (forgive me if I am wrong:p ). I will wait to see what schools I can get into and then, ask "many" questions from you guys. Then, I will definitely let you know. :)

This is for the "ANDY QR:30":

As you and many other ppl might find this surprise, UCSF is also famous for its clinical training. We are second in clinical productivity of the state of CA. (only behind Loma Linda). We have 11 sattelite clinics througout the state from Eureka to San Diego. We have many outreach and community programs that offer you chances to be trained in many different communities. The list is on and on.....

Yah-E, sorry to break the news to you, but grettlin is a californian, he will go to UCSF, natuarally. I know Fort Lauderdale is awesome (just visited your town last week). You guys have fun in da sun, priviledge to take the board early and such.....But grettlin will not leave the golden state for the orange state......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grettlin,
I went to UCSF and talke the Ms. Richardson, the admissions officer. I showed her my scores, and she said it was fine, and I didn't need to retake. There was no sense in risking my academic score. So I think you will be okay.

Hi SloppyJoe, thanks for your information. So, what do you think UCSF really emphasize on? Since there are "lots of" people applying there for sure, how do they choose students???
Maybe we both have the same question for tinkerbell, but she is busy in the school now, maybe? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I forget. I would go to USC next Friday and talk to Eva. I will definitely let you know how is everything going and what is their criteria to choose students. BTW, do you know when will UCSF start interviewing students? Could you share more about UCSF? Thanks.

I am not applying this year, so I don't know as much as I should. I do know that UCSF have begun sending out the secondaries. I actually saw the cabinet where they keep all the applications, and it doesn't look that full. So get your apps in if you havenn't yet. Another thing is UCSF looks very closely at community service. You want to make sure you have a strong resume in that area.

Hi SloppyJoe. So, you would apply for 2005? Thank you for the info about UCSF. I actually sent the secondary out on 8/14, but not hearing anything from them. Probably I haven't sent the lors.....(the committee in my school is really slow). Still, I will let you know anything I learn from USC next Fri.

Gavin, good to see you here. :) I am actually dealthing with the committee at my school about when will they send out my lors......

Forget to ask. Gavin, does your school start? How is the stress in dental school comparing to undergraduate pre-dental courses? Must be harder.....??!

We started six weeks ago. Stress isn't too bad, but the amount of material is insane.

The stress is actually what can be somewhat controlled, because if you just want to do general dentistry then nobody really gives a care about your grades. As long as you pass you get the degree!

To all of you applying to ucsf:

Complete the secondary, send in LORs, and then your file will take at least one month to be reviewed.

Try to send your stuff in asap to avoid the xmas break.

If you have border line GPA, like 3.2 down to 2.8, you won't be invited for interview until Jan.

UCSF interviews usually start pretty late, from mid october until early march, I think. But by the end of Jan, you should get in if you have good DAT scores. Class must be almost filled in early Feb, and so is scholarship.

Good luck to all of you, you guys will all get in. Just keep on working hard, and don't forget to call and remind ppl that you are still alive, and your file needs to be reviewed bc you want to go to their school.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Grettlin,
Ya I am applying for the 2005 school year. I figure I get everything out of the way this year, and apply as early as possible.

tinker, good advice! I sent in everything except recommandations. The committee of my school (CSUF) won't meet until mid of Sep.!!!!!!!!!:confused: Don't know why?
It means all my lors won't be sent until my committee is available. I think I have to go to their office everyday and bother them to send out my lors? :laugh:
Thanks for your advice. We really need it.

SloppyJoe,
UCLA will start reviewing the applications on 9/15.

UCSF starts on 9/8 and I receive a letter from them indicated they don't receive my DAT.

Boston starts on 9/1.

USC starts 9/15.

U of L starts 8/24 and some people already receive interview invites.

Hope this give you some idea to prepare for next year.:)