Finacial aid for new pharmD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiji

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm just accepted into a private pharm. school this year, i have some questions about finacial aid:
1/ i have low income around 3800/y. how can i pay for school fee? which totally around 40k/y?
2/ i havent applied Fafsa. can fafsa give me finacial aid or i have to loan? if so, how can i make loan?
thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Good god this profession is doomed. Its obvious English isn't your first language, however, if you can't even communicate at a 3rd grade level how in the hell did you get in?

Reactions: 2 users
Good god this profession is doomed. Its obvious English isn't your first language, however, if you can't even communicate at a 3rd grade level how in the hell did you get in?
how funny, huh. just accepted by 2 public and 2 private by lucky within 1 month since posted application on pharmcas...

Members don't see this ad :)
Federal loans (Stanford and grad plus) will give you enough. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

FAFSA will only give you loans. Based on your question, it sounds like you haven't thought much about your financial situation. I strongly recommend you calculate out how much loans you will need and have a solid plan to pay it back before starting pharmacy school.

No, you didn't get into those schools by luck, but there is a reason you got in so easily. Being accepted into pharmacy school is barely an achievement anymore.

If you did not get a bachelors (strong assumption you did no such thing) fafsa can offer pel-grant To some extent even though it's a "graduate" program. Should this be true or not you would had to file your taxes NOT as a dependant to even get a descent amount unless your folks are making poverty threshold income.

Either way, you'll definitely get your fed loans out of this to pay for school....what I don't understand is why you turned down public school for private...understand 160k in tuition is what you'll pay not counting book/lab fees, rent, food, utilities, etc. strong low assumption your food/rent/utilities a yr are very modest (beans n rice) so I'd say 36k over four years plus your 160k (then again want cable? Fun now and then? Visits home?) and good 'ol health insurance will put you over $200,000 in LOANS for a job that will be half that salary (roughly 33% income to taxes of course, but let's be nice and say 25%).

Max 401k, get best health insurance and live frugally, you'll find out your living on lower free-moving income than others not offiliated in healthcare...very very small income with no plan and paying interest over years so you'll pay nearly $500,000 to debt should you pay minimum (don't get me started on cars and mortgage)..

My point? Come in with a plan financially and prepare for saturation. I hope you did not choose prestige over cheaper education with same degree. Good career choice if you have a plan (GI Bill, vet in-state residency to any public school, book and home stipend tax free and direct deposit to checking account, and choice of job placement when out...no regrets here when the time comes).

Can international students get federal loans? I was under the impression no.

Have a pulse? Check.
Being willing to sign away $200k+ in student loans to pay the overpriced tuition bill? Check.

Congratulations on your admission.

Reactions: 1 user
Have a pulse? Check.
Being willing to sign away $200k+ in student loans to pay the overpriced tuition bill? Check.

Congratulations on your admission.
How hard is it to study pharmacy? Is 3 year program harder than the 4-year one?

How hard is it to study pharmacy? Is 3 year program harder than the 4-year one?

pharmacy school is not easy, but if u study more than average person, then u will score better than average classmate.. its not impossible. your biggest concern is the Naplex. finding a job after graduation with huge student loan. and performing well at that job.

I was thinking that, but I think she is an American native. The irony.

U.S. Co-signer anything is possible. Even easier with the co-signer approval if the student has a "J Visa Status"

Private loans, yes. Federal loans, you have to be at least a permanent resident to qualify for FAFSA. There's a few other exceptions but J visas won't make you eligible for a federal student loan: https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotw15a.htm

Private loans, yes. Federal loans, you have to be at least a permanent resident to qualify for FAFSA. There's a few other exceptions but J visas won't make you eligible for a federal student loan: https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotw15a.htm

Private loans is what I meant. Lookin back the question was about federal not private oops. I remember this when they offered my wife absurd rates while working to get her off her visa status while in undergrad (how we learned marriage under that status doesn't easily qualify for citizenship). I stand corrected