USMLE Few quick questions about step prep (& which CBSSA is best?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Womb Raider

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, had a few questions regarding step 1 prep.

1. My dedicated is 5 weeks long. I plan on taking 4 practice tests, one a week. (2x Uworld, 2x CBSSA). Are there any recommendations for which CBSSAs are the best since I don't plan on doing all of them? I assume the newest versions are best?

2. Are the free practice questions from usmle (link here) any good?

3. For those of you that took all of the CBSSAs - did you think this helped out a lot? I could squeeze in more, but I figure my time would be better spent reviewing. I've already gone through Uworld once slowly, and plan on doing another pass of uworld (3x40 random, timed a day) during dedicated, with a little Rx sprinkled in and a lot of reviewing from FA/Anki.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys, had a few questions regarding step 1 prep.

1. My dedicated is 5 weeks long. I plan on taking 4 practice tests, one a week. (2x Uworld, 2x CBSSA). Are there any recommendations for which CBSSAs are the best since I don't plan on doing all of them? I assume the newest versions are best?

2. Are the free practice questions from usmle (link here) any good?

3. For those of you that took all of the CBSSAs - did you think this helped out a lot? I could squeeze in more, but I figure my time would be better spent reviewing. I've already gone through Uworld once slowly, and plan on doing another pass of uworld (3x40 random, timed a day) during dedicated, with a little Rx sprinkled in and a lot of reviewing from FA/Anki.
1. Yes, newest ones are better. NBME 19 has a steep curve so you may want to stick with 16, 17, or 18 along with your two UWSA. I've taken 13 and 16 -- both were very different from UW, 13 more so.
2. It's actually a good idea to schedule your free practice questions at your prometric site so you can get familiar with the location, process and get a feel for the environment.
3. Can't really speak to this -- I'm 5 weeks out from my exam too haha.

Reactions: 1 user