Few Questions on Ortho Residency and other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scrub MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered but I tried searching and found nothing.

I am applying to Medical School now but I need to know some things in order to set myself up for an ortho match.

Where can residencies be done at?(only teaching hospitals, hospitals?) Can I ever do any work at a private clinic at anytime during my residency or internship?

What is the difference in residency and internship? How much of each for ortho?

What are some things that need to be done (USMLE >230, research?, good grades & clinicals)?

Thanks a bunch. Sorry my questions are so elementary!

Members don't see this ad.

GPACfan said:

I am applying to Medical School now but I need to know some things in order to set myself up for an ortho match.

Where can residencies be done at?(only teaching hospitals, hospitals?) Can I ever do any work at a private clinic at anytime during my residency or internship?

What are some things that need to be done (USMLE >230, research?, good grades & clinicals)?

Ortho residencies are typically 5 years (the first year of any residency is called an internship). Some may be 6 years and include a research component. Many choose to do a fellowship in a more specialized area of ortho after residency - typically 1 year. There are academic residencies (teaching hospitals) and community residencies. For the rest of your questions, I would suggest visiting www.orthogate.com Good luck!

GPACfan said:

Just curious, how do you know that you want to go into ortho? What experience do you have in the field?

Members don't see this ad :)
dry dre said:
Just curious, how do you know that you want to go into ortho? What experience do you have in the field?

I have shadowed 3 different Ortho Surgeons and loved it. One of them was my team physician in college (I play college football). I love being around sports and also treating sports injuries.

I am not set on Ortho but if I need to do certain things in my first year or two to help the process I want to know about them. I have also been around pediatrics, radiology and emergency med.

The only thing you can do during the first 2 years aside from getting good grades and doing well on Step 1 is do some research. Walk over to the ortho department and tell them you're a med student looking to get into some research with them. It carries a lot of weight on your application. You have time between first and second year, so do research that summer if you want. Get a few published papers and it will open tons of doors.

And to echo the sentiment of a post from above, keep your mind open. Make sure that whatever you are exposed to you keep an open mind. You had a great time shadowing some ortho docs, but you may have an even better time shadowing peds docs. Who knows. Just don't close yourself off to other possibilities. It can't hurt you to keep an open mind about the other specialties.

From my class about 15 people were really interested in ortho during first year, but only 8 ended up applying and matched. So the other 7 were able to find something else that they liked better.

I did some research over the summer in undergrad and it was okay but knew I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. I grew cells,ran gels, made up solutions and crystallized some proteins. What would one do for ortho research?

GPACfan said:
I did some research over the summer in undergrad and it was okay but knew I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. I grew cells,ran gels, made up solutions and crystallized some proteins. What would one do for ortho research?

The easiest way to get started is to go to the ortho dept affiliated with your med school. Otherwise, shop around to different ortho programs either near your school (for easiest communication/travel if necessary) or at a program where you might want to end up, or of the 'caliber' of the place you want to end up. If you're willing to do research, you'll find someone who will take you.