MPH Few questions for Biostatistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hughesn2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So lately I have been attempting to persuade my parents onto the MPH of Biostatistics program. Whenever I bring up MPH programs they assume epidemiology since the only person they know that has gone to an MPH school or program is doing well as an epidemiologist at UofM hospital. But at the same time they really want me to go down the podiatry school route. I simply know I don't want to be a physician. So I was wondering if I could get some insight on the job outlook for an MPH in Biostatistics. Unfortunately, I don't have linear equations or calculus probability statistics so I can't apply to an M.S. in Biostatistics.

The next thing was that when I was researching San Diego State's public health school I thought that they did have an MPH Biostatistics program, but after a quick search again it was Biometry. Even though the two are as similar as possible, but since SDSU has an M.S. in Biostatistics then why don't they have an MPH in Biostatistics??

I live in Michigan and would love to stay here, but I also don't feel confident that I would be able to get accepted to UofM's MPH school and the only other school or program that is accredited is Wayne State's program. Really for me I took a look at the curriculum at the program is not that great and I don't think in the state of Michigan there is much of a boom as compared to living in California. That leads to my next question, a lot of the CEPH accredited programs do have just one or two curriculum, but how well known are some of the programs in California?

To me, based solely on just the BLS.gov on Statisticians in general it seems like the best job outlook in that profession is California or the East coast (DC, NJ, CT, MA).

Members don't see this ad.

So lately I have been attempting to persuade my parents onto the MPH of Biostatistics program. Whenever I bring up MPH programs they assume epidemiology since the only person they know that has gone to an MPH school or program is doing well as an epidemiologist at UofM hospital. But at the same time they really want me to go down the podiatry school route.

I think you should do what you want to do, not what a family member is asking you to do, for the simple reason that you'll be the one doing it for the next many decades.

So I was wondering if I could get some insight on the job outlook for an MPH in Biostatistics. Unfortunately, I don't have linear equations or calculus probability statistics so I can't apply to an M.S. in Biostatistics.

If you want to focus exclusively on Biostatistics, then I'd get those extra couple mathematics courses and do an M.S. in Biostatistics. Fact is that mphs are kinda closer to being a dime a dozen than an M.S. in Biostats, especially given that there is such variety in program quality and curriculum. If an employer wants a hardcore biostats person, they'd probably go with an M.S. in Biostats over an MPH.

The next thing was that when I was researching San Diego State's public health school I thought that they did have an MPH Biostatistics program, but after a quick search again it was Biometry. Even though the two are as similar as possible, but since SDSU has an M.S. in Biostatistics then why don't they have an MPH in Biostatistics??

An MPH is kinda 'more college', not as rigorous as an M.S., and I think is more geared for folks who are uncertain regarding what they want to do, but like the idea of working in public health in some capacity.

I live in Michigan and would love to stay here, but I also don't feel confident that I would be able to get accepted to UofM's MPH school and the only other school or program that is accredited is Wayne State's program. Really for me I took a look at the curriculum at the program is not that great and I don't think in the state of Michigan there is much of a boom as compared to living in California. That leads to my next question, a lot of the CEPH accredited programs do have just one or two curriculum, but how well known are some of the programs in California?

To me, based solely on just the BLS.gov on Statisticians in general it seems like the best job outlook in that profession is California or the East coast (DC, NJ, CT, MA).

It's been said to go to a school in the locale where you want to work in the future, but with you it sounds like your trying to find the best job market. U of Minnesota is a fantastic public health school, and Berkley and UCLA have great reputations as well.

I agree with what Bolingbroke said above. The MS is certainly more rigorous and will prepare you better for statistical consulting and research than an MPH. The MPH curriculum will also include public health classes, like administration, epi, etc, whereas the MS program will really only include classes in statistical theory and inference, ANOVA, regression, survival analysis, and statistical computing.

A good indication of which program you should choose is what your career goals are. What do you want to do with your biostatistics degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I would much rather go into an M.S. program, but all I have is Calc 1&2 and a Stats course. I have looked at most M.S. in Biostatistics programs and they require Linear Algebra. I have yet to take it and I don't really want to take another year off.

My goals would be to work for a Biopharmaceutical company using biostatistics which is why I have been looking at SDSU as my go-to school since it has a large group of pharmaceutical companies. I would love to work in the pharmaceutical industry as a biostatistician but at the same time I have had a passion for math, stats, and science enough that I believe I would enjoy just about anything that mixes statistics and biological sciences.
There are a few M.S. programs I looked at where I qualify for the prereqs but I just don't feel as if I would be competitive enough. For me I know I could get accepted to a good MPH program, but not so sure of the M.S. program.

For me, I want something in which I can actually find a job in a field I love and have a sustainable income. I don't want to have my MPH degree and I can't find anything solid of a job.

If you want to work in the pharma industry, I would recommend you take linear algebra and apply to MS programs. Biostats jobs in pharma are highly competititive, and often employers are looking for phd's. If you want to have a good chance at finding work in that area, a MS is required IMO.