Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was 17 I was convicted of two adjudicated delinquencies. One count of CDS and one count of 2nd Degree Burglary. When I had turned 18 I also received a misdemeanor for allowing minors to commit offenses. I've spoken with two from Oklahoma's Medical Board who informed me it wouldn't be a problem when it came to obtaining a license and gave me tons of advice as well. Now I know this is going to turn into a huge hypothetical kind of thing because I'm years away from applying to any medical school, but what are my options and suggestions from you that can help me obtain my goal of becoming a doctor. I'm already holding myself at a high standard on the college level, looking to hold a 97 and above.
What advice did they give you? Why are you still concerned?

Members don't see this ad.

To not stress about my convictions, to not lie about my convictions, attempt to get into contact with some of the hospitals in the area to attempt to shadow them, try to get an EMT certification, tons of advice. However their advice didn't mention medical school. I've attempted to contact the school I'm trying to go too (Oklahoma's College of Medicine) I've gotten responses back but the question I was asking is to whether it would be against policy/screened out to accept somebody with my background. I had also name dropped both the people from the medical board whom I talked too. The response was along the lines of them stating it shouldn't be a problem since the Medical Board said it was fine. I wasn't given a yes or no which is kind of what I was going for.
Being that these happened relatively recently, unless you do something that truly exemplifies a change in behavior beyond going to college for just a few years, it's likely that you'd be overlooked or screened out. It's one thing if someone told you it won't affect licensure, but the school accepting you is another story. Even if you got great grades and a high MCAT - so does the majority of who else applies - most of whom will not have that looming over their head to try to navigate in the future.

I already have close to 1000 hours of volunteer work that I can continue to pursue into college but I'm unsure if I should stop volunteering at the same place to continue onto clinical experience or research experience. I am going to attempt to make my application one of the strongest one's they've ever seen

Applying with a high MCAT and GPA, with volunteering, clinical exposure, and research experience is virtually standard as it is. You have felonies with things happen both as a "child" at 17 AND as an "adult" at 18.

Yes, some people get in with lower MCAT or GPA, or less volunteering etc, but many also have other things that make up for it, again, without legal matters hovering over them.

If you want the strongest application you're going to need to make up for the felonies, and it's going to need to involve time between the felonies and the application incorporating proof that you are not that person, and you will need more than the relatively standard application as mentioned above.

Going to college right now, and with what you just said, what will make your application THE strongest they've ever seen?

In all honesty I'm not sure what would make my application the strongest they've seen. That's pretty much why I'm posting on here in the first place is to get advice on what would make my application stand out, to make me an exception.

Give this a read:

Applying with a high MCAT and GPA, with volunteering, clinical exposure, and research experience is virtually standard as it is. You have felonies with things happen both as a "child" at 17 AND as an "adult" at 18.

Yes, some people get in with lower MCAT or GPA, or less volunteering etc, but many also have other things that make up for it, again, without legal matters hovering over them.

If you want the strongest application you're going to need to make up for the felonies, and it's going to need to involve time between the felonies and the application incorporating proof that you are not that person, and you will need more than the relatively standard application as mentioned above.

Going to college right now, and with what you just said, what will make your application THE strongest they've ever seen?
I agree here that getting as much time as possible between the infractions and applying is crucial for success. Have an exemplary record and preferably engage in positions with lot of responsibility.

OP, the dilemma you have to that Adcoms think like this:

1) Is this the sort of person we want in our Class?
2) Why take a risk on this kid when we have so many others who didn't do stuff like s/he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.