Fellowship scramble/SOAP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastmastdonan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was pretty much set on doing hospitalist and not pursuing fellowship. However, I finally did my ID rotation in my third year and absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately, the timing was terrible as by the time I realized this it was a few days before rank lists were due. So I signed up for everything last minute but did not get a chance to interview thus did not rank any programs.

So now I am in a unique situation and there is not much information on SDN or other forums about this. Basically, I was wondering if anyone knows how fellowship scramble works exactly? I was not in SOAP for residency so I never went through this process. Do they e-mail you a list of programs that were unfilled and you contact them directly? Or do you go through ERAS again and apply through there?

I know it makes more sense to apply on time next year, but my preferences really are just to stay in the northeast and I am going for ID which should have a decent number of open spots. So I would rather just go straight into fellowship than wait a whole year.

If anyone has been through the scramble process or is familiar with it, I would sincerely appreciate you shedding some light on all of this.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was pretty much set on doing hospitalist and not pursuing fellowship. However, I finally did my ID rotation in my third year and absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately, the timing was terrible as by the time I realized this it was a few days before rank lists were due. So I signed up for everything last minute but did not get a chance to interview thus did not rank any programs.

So now I am in a unique situation and there is not much information on SDN or other forums about this. Basically, I was wondering if anyone knows how fellowship scramble works exactly? I was not in SOAP for residency so I never went through this process. Do they e-mail you a list of programs that were unfilled and you contact them directly? Or do you go through ERAS again and apply through there?

I know it makes more sense to apply on time next year, but my preferences really are just to stay in the northeast and I am going for ID which should have a decent number of open spots. So I would rather just go straight into fellowship than wait a whole year.

If anyone has been through the scramble process or is familiar with it, I would sincerely appreciate you shedding some light on all of this.

Thank you for your help!
For fellowship, it's still a scramble not SOAP...you will get an email thy says sorry you have not matched and have access to the i filled list...then you start emailing, faxing, calling programs to have them consider you...not sure if it starts on the same day or if it's the next day, but the email should tell you the schedule.

You should have your CV/ERAS application all ready to go and talk to people to call ID PDs on your behalf...but you are right, there should be enough unfilled spots for you to get something.

Good luck!

It essentially becomes the equivalent of a "pre-match."

All individuals who do not match will get a list of open fellowship and programs. If you have a colleague who does not match, you can ask for this list or you can ask your IM Program Director who will have this list.

ID, nephrology, geriatric medicine are virtual givens.

If you already have an ERAS application and letters, you can very easily submit this to the program who accepts you for a scramble interview.