Feedback please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buomyta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Bio: 30, female, single, Active Duty AirForce Medic 6 years 1991-1997, ADN-RN 1997, BSN-RN 2000, critical care RN since 1997. If calculations correct: 3.0 nonscience gpa, 3.2 science gpa, 3.0 accum gpa. taking Kaplan MCAT classroom courses for April MCAT. Shadowed DO in NJ. He offered to write LOR. Visited TCOM in December and shadowed an awesome student. Looking at only DO schools. Although, TCOM is an outstanding school probably wont be applying there considering I'm out of state and my stats aren't great. I love the DO philosophy and I definitely see myself as a DO. Need your opinions.

1. If MCAT is less than 25, do I have a shot: low gpa, low mcat. DO I need to retake MCAT in August.
2. Anything in my favor with my bio
3. I would need approx 5 (4 credit hr courses) with As to get GPA 3.5. Do I need to go back to school.
4. Any DO schools favor the more nontraditional with low stats.

Need to feel the love.
:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, first of all you have NOTHING to worry about. For DO schools your stats are actually high. I know a bunch of people who got in with very low MCATS (ie: 21 and 22). Your LORs have to be strong though, but with a 3.0+ you're fine!

However, with all that said, my personal advice to you IS to redo the MCAT, why not? it can only enhance your application. I would apply this summer and send your re-done scores in October. Think about it, if you score 30+ you've definetly improved your chances of getting in.

My motto is never settle for a sub-par MCAT score, even if you do get in before your score comes out. you'll feel better about yourself if you improve on the MCAT.

Final word of advice: call the schools you want to apply to and find out FROM them how acceptable your 'stats' are. In addition, talk to them about your current MCAT score and get their advice.

You're a great candidate for osteopathic schools simply because, as u said, u are a non-trad applicant. However, i feel your gpa is alittle low. Perhaps retake some prereqs if u need to or beef up gpa with other science classes, remember that aacomas only factors in the better grade when u retake a course. Beyond that hit a homerun on your mcat. get above a 25 and u should be a strong applicant. i say this because your gpa is a little low. But as others have said it's possible to get in with lower. I didnt do all that well on my mcats but my gpa was a little higher than yours and i just got in. I'd say apply if u get at least a 25. good luck.........osteo.

Members don't see this ad :)
TUCOM counselor told me that as long as you have GPA of ~3.3 and MCATs ~29 you should be fine. But I am sure people have matriculated with lower and higher numbers. My own stats were 3.3 and 31Q, so maybe that's why he quoted those numbers, cant really say.

Anyways, I think with your unique background with a decent MCAT score will make you a very competitive candidate not just for osteopath but even for allopath. Just be warned that the top 20 allopath are a bit more selective than the osteopath schools (eg, one of the top 20s told me that everything on my app was good except my MCATs was a bit too low for matriculating, I was initially shocked because I thought he would point out my low GPA, go figure)

So, in conclusion, study, study, study for the MCAT with multiple practice tests. Utilize the Kaplan flash cards, they are pretty helpful. (eg, my score jumped from 19N to 31Q). Anyways, good luck on your April exam!

Originally posted by buomyta
1. If MCAT is less than 25, do I have a shot: low gpa, low mcat. DO I need to retake MCAT in August.
2. Anything in my favor with my bio
3. I would need approx 5 (4 credit hr courses) with As to get GPA 3.5. Do I need to go back to school.
4. Any DO schools favor the more nontraditional with low stats.

Need to feel the love.
:love:

Hi,

1. If you have over a 20, and everything else being great then it is possible to get into a DO school. But your GPA is a bit low. So you really need a higher MCAT score to offset it. The mean GPA was 3.43 for 2002. But it can be done. I know a number of people who got in with a 22 MCAT and 3.2 GPA, so there is hope there. It will be hard to say though until you take the MCAT.

2. Yes, your bio reads well for DO schools. It would definetly work in your favor.

3. This one is hard to say. Do you think if you took a few classes you could do well in them? Well enough to get some A's? If you have the time and think you could do well , then by all means do it. Would they be higher level science courses?

4. This one I know for sure. A lot of the DO schools love older, non-trads and they understand as non-trads, our GPAs and MCATs tend to run lower than the norm. That is proven by stats. They realize this and look at the overall application in a different light that they look at younger students applications. They realize that we have families and obligations and time constraints younger students simply don't have and therefore don't have to deal with the things we do. I don't know if you have kids. DO schools do like non-trads and with your work history, I think you will be looked at favorably.

You will need a DO letter to apply at VCOM and WVSOM. I don't know about the others, but those 2 schools will not waive that requirement.

Good luck in preparing for the MCAT. After you get that score you will be able to determine a bit better your chances. PM me if you want.