feedback on computerized OAT & the pre-test, please

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
those of you who have taken the computerized OAT...can you set it up preety much any day and time you want? How soon before you want to take it should you set it up?

Also....is there still a 25 minute pre-test after the 15 minute break? Any idea if you can just take a 40 minute break (and not do the pre-test) and then come back in time for the physics section? And that reminds me are the sections still the same schedule (natural science, rc, break, pretest, physics, qr) as they were in the written test? Do they let you leave the testing center during the break or do you eat your snack outside the computer area but stay in the testing center?

thanks and I look forward to hearing from you...

Members don't see this ad.

gsinccom said:
those of you who have taken the computerized OAT...can you set it up preety much any day and time you want? How soon before you want to take it should you set it up?

Also....is there still a 25 minute pre-test after the 15 minute break? Any idea if you can just take a 40 minute break (and not do the pre-test) and then come back in time for the physics section? And that reminds me are the sections still the same schedule (natural science, rc, break, pretest, physics, qr) as they were in the written test? Do they let you leave the testing center during the break or do you eat your snack outside the computer area but stay in the testing center?

thanks and I look forward to hearing from you...

At the testing center that I took the OAT at, there were two times you could choose from... 9:00 and 1:00. I'm sure this may vary from center to center. My center was booking three months down the road when I called, so it is best to book it as early as poissible! Again, how busy they are would definitely vary from center to center. There is no pre-test at all...you start with a tutorial that shows you how to navigate through everything (it is the exact same screens that you can see in the examinee guide at www.opted.org). So, you start out with the tutorial and then do you natural science section, followed by reading. You then have a 15 minute break (your computer starts counting down, so it will start the test without you if you're not back in time!). Next is physics and then QR...after the test is done, there is a very quick survey at the end. As far as break goes, I'm pretty sure they would make you stay in the building. You'll be allowed to take food with you, but nothing else... If they let you leave the building there is a chance that you could call someone/reading notes/... I wasn't even allowed to take my purse with me during the break. I hope that answered all of your questions!

I took the OAT at the end of August. I scheduled it in July and was able to pick any day I wanted as the whole schedule was empty at that point. But, it does depend on where you take the test, some areas have a lot more opt. students than others! I was able to leave the building during the break... I went outside and took some long deep breathes and relaxed... it really helped I think! (Perhaps the policy varies among testing centers.) I do have one piece of advice...bring earplugs! Luckily the testing center I was at provided quiet headphones...because people taking other types of tests were coming in and out the entire time. I am easily distracted so the headphones were essential. Best of luck....p.greeneyes :luck: :luck:

Hi all,

I am new to OAT because I just decided to apply to Optometry programs not long ago. I thought there are only two OAT exams in one year, one in FEb. and the other in Oct.? Is this rule only applied to Paper based exams, not to CBT?

Thanks

npnguyen93 said:
Hi all,

I am new to OAT because I just decided to apply to Optometry programs not long ago. I thought there are only two OAT exams in one year, one in FEb. and the other in Oct.? Is this rule only applied to Paper based exams, not to CBT?

Thanks

The written/paper version of the OAT no longer exists. You must now take the computerized version of the test, and there are no specific dates for it...you can pretty much book it any time you want.