Family Medicine residency programs with the least hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ozibu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What FM residency programs work their residents the least hours?

I know this sounds silly, like I'm trying to avoid a good educational experience, but my plan is to moonlight and take some of my learning into my own hands, so that I can be more independent in my education and also make a bit of extra money while I'm doing it. If I'm in a program that sucks the life and soul out of me I won't be able to do much moonlighting.

Also, is residency explorer very accurate with the average hours section?

Members don't see this ad.

What FM residency programs work their residents the least hours?

I know this sounds silly, like I'm trying to avoid a good educational experience, but my plan is to moonlight and take some of my learning into my own hands, so that I can be more independent in my education and also make a bit of extra money while I'm doing it. If I'm in a program that sucks the life and soul out of me I won't be able to do much moonlighting.

Also, is residency explorer very accurate with the average hours section?

I'm glad you agree that your post sounds silly because it is. You are in residency to learn and train under supervision with varying degrees of autonomy as you progress in order to become a good clinician. Do not sacrifice that training. I'm not saying that you should not do any moonlighting but you will have the rest of your entire life to make money. You do not want to be that resident who gets sued because of some adverse event during moonlighting. The narrative of "wanting to take learning into my own hands" won't sit well

Residency Explorer is not accurate.
Least hrs = programs where you’re a rotator and no one knows you’re supposed to be there

Which does not mean you can moonlight because the likely hood of you getting caught and fired from residency goes up if you not only skip your rotation but choose to use that time to moonlight.

Urgent care is not good learning. It’s the worst side of EM/FM and the attending I know that does the most urgent care makes bank but is a ****ty doc.

If you really want to moonlight and work for money do EM their cap structure is totally different and you’ll be better equipped to pick up extra shifts.